(Courtesy FAMSF)

The show discusses Pablo Picasso and the more than 100 extraordinary works on display at the de Young museum in San Francisco. The exhibit is on loan from the permanent collection of Paris’ Musee National Picasso.

Guests:
Timothy Anglin Bugard, curator of American art at the de Young Museum.

• JoanSF

Question for curator Tim Bugard — Does he think Picasso was a misogynist or was he equally cruel to some of his male friends? 

• Michael

I don’t know about cruel–no man I know of was ever more engaged with the women in his life, more haunted inspired driven crazy than Picasso. None of them ever committed suicide when with him–only after they were separated. This seems to indicate that being with him was highly addictive. Both Picasso and de Kooning have been accused of misogyny; de Kooning slyly never outright denied it. He just said that the Women paintings are pictures of his own psyche, not of Elaine de Kooning with whom he no doubt battled. The same is true for Picasso I believe. I am bothered by the cult of celebrity that uses a filter to sort out individuals who are the most obsessively dedicated to one thing, to hold them up for that one thing they do better than anyone else in the world, THEN look at the neglected parts of their lives critically. Does this make sense to you?? No one was ever more dedicated to painting/art than Picasso; the women in his lives knew they had to play second fiddle to this dedication. You obviously know so little about Picasso you can’t help but project your own fears of being abused onto him. At least he showed the world the monstrous, Minotaur, bull, side of his persona without any reserve; clearly he had has own feelings about the damage he could do to those close to him he loved. Look at the wounded horse in the bullfight (Olga). He hides none of this.That doesn’t make him a mysogynist but human and honest.

• JoanSF

I don’t know if Picasso was a misogynist or not nor how he treated his family and friends, male or female, except from what I read in John Richardson’s 3 volume biography, Francois Gilot’s biography, and Tim Burgard’s interview.  I asked the question because there are women who think Picasso was a misogynist and treated his women poorly–he would be infatuated with them then discard them once he consumed and dissected them.  Obviously, Picasso was complex and full of contradictions like most human beings except his artistic talent was unique.  You may find this quote by John Richardson in an interview by Jasper Rees of interest:
        I am amazed by the number of people who say, “He must have been the most
        awful cad”. My experience was he was anything but. He was a man of
        incredible generosity, not only with his time but with himself. This
        view that has been put around by pseudo-feminists – Arianna Stassinopoulos
        knowing absolutely nothing about him at all decided to cast him as a
        villain – and this perception has prevailed. One of the problems is that
        whatever you say about him, the reverse is also true. He was a
        misogynist, but absolutely adored women. He was stingy to his family but
        also incredibly generous. It’s no good writing about Picasso if you
        don’t take in the paradox of his character.
        Link for interview, http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1549:picasso-john-richardson-interview&Itemid=80 
        Note Arianna Stassinopoulos is Arianna Huffington; Roland Penrose was also husband of photographer Lee Miller who was once Man Ray’s muse and may have also had a fling with Picasso–definitely was a stimulating and interesting time.

• Motorgoober

Where can I find Picasso’s quote about African art and magic and his quote about him being a magician?

• JoanSF

Don’t know about Picasso’s quote being a magician but quote about African art and magic can be found in Tim Burgard’s article titled
      “Picasso and Appropriation” in the magazine Art Bulletin, Vol. 73, No. 2 (Sep 1991), pp. 479-494 which can be found via SF Public Library or via JSTOR. Following is the article abstract:
      Picasso’s perception of appropriation as a magical transference of power developed in response to traumatic events in his life that were linked by the related themes of death and artistic and sexual impotence. His revelatory visit to the Trocadero Museum of ethnology in Paris in 1907 convinced the artist that an art work is not merely a simulacrum, but rather is a magical object, endowed with the properties of its model and capable of affecting its destiny. Picasso subsequently assimilated this idea of appropriation into his art to give form to his fears, to exorcise them, and to regain control over what he termed the “unknown hostile forces” of nature and man.

• Elita Murphy

Just tuned in, or I would have commented earlier. My grandfather’s architectural firm in Chicago designed the Civic Center building where Picassos’ large sculpture was installed in 1967. My grandfather was involved in working with Picasso on using the cor-ten steel which was the material used in the building’s skin as well as the artist’s sculpture. I was 12 when the work was installed and have held him in great esteem ever since.

• Jake Belsky

I visited the Picasso Museum in 2003 and was underwhelmed with the exhibit with only a few exceptions ( ” La baie de Cannes” is fantastic!). One other thing, the curato said Picasso never did “abstract” paintings. I think he meant “non-objective”.

• Bill Bonville

I won’t comment about someone who was “underwelmed”
    by the Musee in Paris.  Does the exhibit here as at the Musee Picasso in the Marais contain so many of his impressive works in many mediums?

• JoanSF

Yes, there are variety of mediums, e.g. oil on canvas, works on paper, collage, bronze, assemblage that will hopefully impress many visitors of Picasso’s artistic breadth and depth.  If galleries are not too crowded, try to look closely at the works on paper especially the studies for “Les Demoiselles d’Avignon.”  Unfortunately, that painting belongs to NY MOMA hence not in SF exhibition.

• AllyforGGP

You can see all of his works at the Paris museum by going to
    http://picasso-paris.videomuseum.fr/Navigart/index.php?db=picasso&qs=1
    Then you do not need to fight the crowds and clutter Golden Gate Park.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor