Sunday night, President Barack Obama confirmed the death of Osama bin Laden. We discuss the al-Qaida leader’s death, and what it might mean for global security and U.S. international relations.

Chris Hedges, author, Truthdig columnist and former New York Times war correspondent whose books include "The World as It Is," "The Death of the Liberal Class" and "War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning"
Michael Hingson, survivor of 9/11 who was on the 78th floor of Tower One of the World Trade Center
Abraham Sofaer, senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and former legal adviser to the U.S. Department of State
Russ Sharkey, survivor of 9/11 who worked for Lehman Brothers and was in the World Trade Center when the first plane hit

• Roy-in-Boise

The death of Bin Ladden is not the absolute end of our war in Afghanistan … It will be important that the US does not get sucked into the endless cycle of retaliations as we have seen in the Middle East throughout the past. At some point as an American society we must lift above that. First we must disengage and then become unengaged from these endless privatized proxy wars.

• Moira Hill

I really appreciate Chris Hedge’s point about this being a somber event… also the good will Americans enjoyed right after 9-11 and how we missed that opportunity to isolate terrorists then. Pres. Obama got the tone right on this.

• Fay

Images of young partying american college twits aside, that dirtbag bin laden gave us shoe searches at airports and helped build up the atrocious the bush presidency and the military and billions in more aid to israel – all in the name of 9-11 and the war on terror that now never ends.

So, it is with mixed feelings that I cheer US success in getting him, while at the same time lamenting our daily culture of fear brought on by not cultivating peace with those see the world differently. If we shared with the world, healing through medical care, sanitary water, farming, and education poor people want, we’d have friends in more places instead of killers.
    ~Fay Nissenbaum~
    ~The City~

• Chuck

Off the Bin Laden thread, please ask your guest Chris Hedges what he thinks of finding someone to challenge Obama in the Democratic primary. I for one cannot vote for him given his refusal to prosecute Wall Street for the financial debacle they created.

• No, no, no. Both your guests, because of their own agendas, are claiming this was an “assassination”. We attempted to arrest him, he fought back, perhaps with a gun, and so had to kill him.

When the cops shoot in self defense, it’s not an “assassination”. Words matter.

• Sharon

Being a NYer and knowing people who have relativies who lost their lives on 9-11 brings the news of bin Ladden’s death to me as a sense of “finally they got him, and good job” but I did not celebrate, I did not rejoice – our problems in the middle east will not go away because of this, But for Chris Hedges to be so submissive and degrading to the people who are celebrating is simply wrong. If for a short time poeple want to show their relief and reaction to this news in a celebratory way let us, we are not burning flags, people are just happy that someone who represented hatred and terriosim against Americans is finally not around. Tommorw they can go back to being rational and understanding that this hasn’t changed that much in the fight on terror and our policies in the middle east.

• Ehkzu

Discussions like this really bring the conspiracy nuts–Left and Right–out of the woodwork, don’t they? So let’s pile it on with this one: the secret Muslim agent in the White House was George Bush II! Every international act of this president served to clear all of Iran’s enemies off the map–first the Afghan Taliban, which loathes Shiites like Iran’s theocratic rulers and supported revolts by Iran’s Sunni minoirty, and then Saddam Hussein’s Iraq, which Iran now more or less controls behind the scenes. So either Bush was an idiot–or he was a Shiite agent working for Iran.

How’s that for a conspiracy theory?

• Sal

Just wanted to chime in on the involvement of the Pakistani military in this operation to nab OBL. I think all the pundits (on NPR and FOX etc) insisting that the Pakistani military did not know about this operation or did not have any role to play is incredulous. How can 2 (or was it 4?) American helicopters fly deep in Pakistani air space in to a heavily guarded garrison town such as Abbot-abad? This town (named after Major James Abbot of the British Army which set up the army cantonment in that town) is also the home of the Pakistan Military Academy (Officer training school) where all the officers including Kayani, Musharraf, and Pasha were trained and became commissioned officers. The compund that was raided in this operation is barely a mile from the exclusive Academy.
    I find it hard to fathom that the Pakistani military would not know about this operation and would allow American special forces to launch this operation without their full cooperation. Some of the Pakistani intelligence agencies may have rogue elements within their ranks but to imply that they were stupid or sleeping on the job while foreign forces flew from one of their own bases and nabbed the most wanted guy in the world is just wishful thinking and naive at best.
    If you see the Pakistani TV coverage (or Al Jazeera coverage) you will see the heavy presence of Pakistan amry’s Military Police cordoning off the area around the compound and going about their investigation. As President Obama said so himself this was an operation done with the cooperation of the Pakistani military regardless of what pundits including the Fox News analysts or any others would want us to believe.

• Sal

Also, I would like to add that “Violence begets more Violence”…The likelihood of this psycopath being captured alive were minimal but the brutal pictures of the assasination will only incite more of his cult followers to avenge his death and thus the cycle of violence will continue…

• Lupo

Forensics 101:
    Secret destruction of evidence usually means there was no evidence.
    It is highly suspicious that the military decided to dispose of the bodily evidence at sea.
    Either they did not have a body at all and it’s all a SHAM, or they killed bin Ladden years ago and put him on ice.

• Or…they wanted to follow Islamic law, and perform the necessary burial rights, so as not to irritate Muslims. And they chose the ocean to deny radicals a shrine to a martyr.

…hmmm, no. That makes TOO much sense. And it’s too simple. Your convoluted and self-contradictory theory is the stronger case.

• Lupo

Just look at the Spanish newspapers who are showing that the photos of his corpse are clearly faked and based on photos of another corpse. If he had really been caught, they would not have needed to FAKE the photos.

• Forensics 102?

• Marte48

These celebrations are like the ones outside of prisons, after a mass-murderer is executed. However, the real murderers died in the plane on 911. Charles Manson is still alive.

• Deep Sinus

I heard they found incriminating emails from a Pakistani general to Bin Laden on one of the hard drives they retrieved from OBL’s compound. Seems the general was not only fully aware of Bin Laden’s presence there, but was offering assurances of his safety. Anybody else hear this??

Hi US Friends

On the Italian National TV they said that the Navy seal COMMANDER who killed Bin-laden was CHUCK NORRIS,the VICE COMMANDER WAS SILVESTER STALLONE, while the OPERATION CHIEF WAS ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER.

Is it true????????

Please advice us! We don’t understand!!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor