In what has been a series of years-long, eleventh-hour extensions, the Elbo Room in the Mission has been granted another (temporary) lease on life.

The owners of the Elbo Room, Matt Shapiro and Erik Cantu, announced in a Facebook post Monday that its lease has been extended to the start of 2019.

Property owners Susan and Dennis Ring have been working to tear down the bar and entertainment venue since 2014, and in its place, build a nine-unit condominium in which they could reside. But after pushback from community members, the Rings’ development proposal has shifted.

Rather than demolish the current structure, the latest proposal states that the couple would have built three additional floors atop the current two-floor space to make a seven-unit condominium with a potential retail or restaurant space in the first floor. According to Hoodline, however, the Ring couple has yet to obtain a building permit for the proposed residency.

The last lease extension, which granted the Mission nightlife haunt permission to stay in their current space on 647 Valencia St., was granted in December 2015.

Elbo Room Gets Lease Stretched Out to 2019 4 August,2017Joshua Bote

Author

Joshua Bote

Joshua Bote is an intern for KQED Arts. A senior at UC Berkeley, Joshua previously served as the Arts & Entertainment Editor at The Daily Californian, UC Berkeley’s independently-run student newspaper. His work has been published in the East Bay Express.

He’s deeply enamored with Twitter culture, Carly Rae Jepsen, and love-oriented podcasts. He’s also  slowly learning to appreciate bad award shows. Follow him on Twitter @joshuaboat.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor