Here’s the lowdown on Bay Area transit service tonight. Muni, CalTrain, SamTrans, and VTA will offer free service starting at 8 p.m. Check 511.org for specific trip planning. And remember, holiday DUI enforcement is in full force; public transit may indeed be your best option, or a few transit services — many for free — will cater specifically for those who should not be driving. See that list at the end of this post.
Muni Service New Year’s Eve
- Do not tag your Clipper card during the complimentary service
- Complimentary Muni service 8 p.m., Dec. 31, to 5 a.m., Jan. 1
- Muni Metro service between West Portal and Embarcadero stations extended to 4 a.m. and until 2:15 a.m. to 4th and King street
- Service on the F Market historic streetcar line is provided by buses after approximately 4 p.m.
- Extra Owl service (1 a.m. to 5 a.m.): 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 38 Geary, 90 and 91 Owl and the L and N Owl bus routes.
- Extra 1-California Route service -Inbound from 9:40 pm to 11:15 pm -Outbound from 10:10pm to 1:40am
- Reroutes are not scheduled. The following routes will reroute only if needed. -Downtown: 1, 5, 6, 9, 14, 21, 31, 38, 71, L-Owl, N-Owl, F, California Cable Car -North Beach: 8X, 10, 12 -Cow Hollow: 45 -Castro: 24, 35
BART Service New Year’s Eve
BART will extend service until 3 am on New Year’s Eve and deploy extra staff and trains to help get people home from their festivities. BART will run a normal weekday evening service schedule which will extend until 3 am. Trains will run every 20 minutes after midnight with extra trains standing by in downtown San Francisco after the fireworks show.
To further ease platform crowding at our busiest stations, Embarcadero, Montgomery, and West Oakland, beginning at 8 pm, BART will utilize a “skip-stop” train pattern into and out of San Francisco with one important change from past years.
Caltrain Service New Year’s Eve
*Extra service on New Year’s Eve:
Trains Depart San Francisco at 12:45 a.m., 1:15 a.m., 1:45 a.m. and 2:15 a.m., or when full, making all regular local stops. Caltrain will be free beginning at 8 p.m. on Dec. 31, ending after the last special reaches San Jose.
Caltrain does not allow open alcohol containers on trains after 9 p.m. following special events. Disruptive passengers will be asked to detrain.
On the day of New Year’s Eve, Caltrain will operate on a regular weekday schedule. On New Year’s Day, it will operate a Sunday schedule, with 32 trains between San Francisco and San Jose and shuttle service to and from the Tamien station. Train service will not operate south of San Jose.
AC Transit Service New Year’s Eve
AC Transit is operating on a standard schedule at normal rates. Maps and schedules here.
Golden Gate Transit Service New year’s Eve
Regular schedule for buses, holiday schedule for ferries. Schedules here.
SamTrans Service New Year’s Eve
SamTrans will offer complimentary rides from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. SamTrans timetables here.
Santa Clara VTA Service New Year’s Eve
For New Year’s Eve, between 8 p.m. on December 31 and 5 a.m. on January 1, all VTA service will be free. Both light rail and Express Bus 181 will also have more frequent service. All customers are encouraged to check the VTA schedule for their return trips to ensure they do not miss their bus or train. Routes and schedules here.
Don’t drink and drive:
- AAA is offering free tows of up to 10 miles to take drivers and their cars home. The program is available to everyone, not just AAA members. It starts at 6 p.m. today and ends at 6 a.m. on New Year’s Day. Call (800) 222-4357 and tell the operator, “I need a tipsy tow.” If available, a truck will arrive and bring the stranded driver and the vehicle home. Additional passengers can catch a ride in the tow truck if there is space.
- San Francisco residents can call for a free taxi ride home between 10 p.m. tonight and 4 a.m. Wednesday. The Berg Injury Lawyers law firm has teamed up Luxor Cab to provide free rides worth up to $35 for inebriated revelers. Call Luxor Cab at (415) 282-4141 and mention Berg Injury Lawyers to find the next available cab.
- The city of Sausalito is offering residents free rides to and from any location within city limits between 7 p.m. tonight and 2:30 a.m. Wednesday. Two city vehicles will be on call throughout the night to provide rides for up to five residents per trip. Call (415) 521-0412.