Mount Diablo State Park has reopened to visitors today after firefighters contained a blaze that charred more than 3,100 acres last week.
The Morgan Fire, which started on Sunday, Sept. 8, near Morgan Territory Road southeast of Clayton, was declared 100 percent contained over the weekend.
The blaze, reportedly started by target shooters, spread into the park and prompted its closure. About 75 homes were evacuated. More than 1,370 fire personnel from more than a dozen agencies responded during the course of the fire. Firefighters were aided by an air attack that at one point included a DC-10 jumbo jet.
Today the park and nearby roads are open with all trails accessible, Cal Fire Battalion Chief Brandon Leitzke said. “You might run across some equipment and crews here and there,” he said. About 100 crewmembers are still in the area today. There will be even fewer Tuesday, he said.
Crews are cleaning up debris from the blaze and working on rehabilitation efforts for the scorched land. Park visitors are advised to be cautious about activities that could spark a fire.
Bay City News Service contributed to this report.