From AP:

NEW YORK – The NBA has granted the owners of the Sacramento Kings an extension until May 2 to file paperwork requesting a relocation to Anaheim.

Joe and Gavin Maloof were supposed to submit the documents by Monday, but the league’s owners decided to delay that after hearing from Anaheim and Sacramento officials during their two days of meetings that ended Friday.

Commissioner David Stern said the league wanted to “do a little bit more fact finding” after Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson told owners Thursday of additional revenue that had been identified, of the city’s commitment to build a new arena, and revealed an interested potential buyer in Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle.

However, the Maloofs insist they won’t sell, and Stern says the idea of a sale is “not a high priority on our agenda.”


Jon Brooks

Jon Brooks is the host and editor of KQED’s health and technology blog, Future of You. He is the former editor of KQED’s daily news blog, News Fix. A veteran blogger, he previously worked for Yahoo! in various news writing and editing roles. He was also the editor of, which documented user-generated content about the financial crisis and recession. Jon is also a playwright whose work has been produced in San Francisco, New York, Italy, and around the U.S. He has written about film for his own blog and studied film at Boston University. He has an MFA in Creative Writing from Brooklyn College.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor