Boy the media will cover anything these days.*

Check out this video from Fox News, via The Wall Street Journal, about Nicolaus Ramos, a University of Colorado student from Sacramento who paid his tuition with all one-dollar bills last week.

From the Sacramento Bee:

To make a point about the high cost of tuition, Nicolaus Ramos, a University of Colorado student from Sacramento, paid his tuition bill with all one-dollar bills Friday.

“Before, I would pay with a check. This year I’m paying in all ones, over $14,000 in ones, weighing in at nearly 30 pounds,” Ramos explained on a YouTube video produced by the Boulder Daily Camera.

To be precise, the Colorado student’s out-of-state tuition payment came to $14,309.51, wire services reported.

Here’s an interview with Ramos from the Daily Camera, the school newspaper.

Okay pretty good stunt. But if he really wanted to make an impression, he would have done it in pennies…

*Physician heal thyself.

Author

Jon Brooks

Jon Brooks is the host and editor of KQED’s health and technology blog, Future of You. He is the former editor of KQED’s daily news blog, News Fix. A veteran blogger, he previously worked for Yahoo! in various news writing and editing roles. He was also the editor of EconomyBeat.org, which documented user-generated content about the financial crisis and recession. Jon is also a playwright whose work has been produced in San Francisco, New York, Italy, and around the U.S. He has written about film for his own blog and studied film at Boston University. He has an MFA in Creative Writing from Brooklyn College.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor