Jack Kornfield's latest book is "No Time Like the Present: Finding Freedom, Love, and Joy Right Where You Are."

Uncertain times are “the perfect place to deepen the practice of awakening,” writes the longtime Buddhist teacher Jack Kornfield. Kornfield’s latest book, “No Time Like the Present: Finding Freedom, Love, and Joy Right Where You Are,” offers advice on finding freedom from worry, anxiety and want. The founder of Marin’s Spirit Rock meditation center, Kornfield joins us to discuss his new book and share what he’s learned as a longtime practitioner of Buddhism and mindfulness.

Buddhist Teacher Jack Kornfield on Learning to Let Go of Anxiety 15 June,2017Michael Krasny

• Noelle

We really need this today. Thank you.

• geraldfnord

Mr Kornfield should cite evidence for some of his beliefs from neuroscience only if he is willing to discard others of his beliefs on the basis of neuroscientific evidence should contradict them; has this ever happened?

• geraldfnord

What about cause-and-effect? When, if ever, were it ever just a practical course to punish people who have done great evil, and make sure that they are seen to have been punished, in order to discourage others from taking the same course?

• kareninsf

I need to get this book!

• Rozalina Gutman

I’ve met Jack Kornfeild and appreciate his work in the realm of self-mastery. However, what are the implications of the Einstein’s quote he had brought up: “If you are able to kiss the girl while driving safely, you are not giving it enough attention.” And, why did he brought up another quote of Dalai Lama: “They took everything from me – my religion, my books, my home. So, why should I give them my happiness?” Maybe, due to being in the body of the privileged gender/class he does not comprehend so much of what is at stake during the times of pro-active War on Minds. Maybe, he does not understand that the quote is quite revealing of the attitude of Happiness IN-DEFIANCE, because he did not have to live through the personal suffering experience?

And this moves me to take it further: While I appreciate the mention on the public radio forum of the fact of Tibetan nation’s suffering, I am puzzled about WHY is it possible that no mention was made by either speaker of distinction to use the opportunity to point out the fact that this subject has become increasingly “normalized” and does not elicit any righteous indignation neither in both speakers, nor in the majority of the listeners (I see no similar alerts about this error of lacking compassion and following the pattern of absent self-compassion by Tibetan leaders…). Is this the effect of what some of my colleagues Arts Therapists call ironically self-defeating “blindfulness” that this nation needs to be mindful of avoiding, particularly during our current turbulent time of having a duty to take the strong self-preservation stand to mobilize and to defend our democratic freedoms under unprecedented calculated attack by the democracy’s enemies within and outside of our country?

Host

Michael Krasny

Michael Krasny, PhD, has been in broadcast journalism since 1983. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He has been Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor