(Getty Images)

This week, hackers stole and published nude photos of celebrities, raising concerns about the security of online information and data stored in the cloud. We talk with Department of Defense cybercrime expert Tyler Cohen Wood, whose new book “Catching the Catfishers” explains how to protect your online data and reputation. We’ll also discuss the digital breadcrumbs that we unwittingly drop while surfing the web, and how to guard against online predators and cyber-stalkers.

Guests:
Tyler Cohen Wood, author of "Catching the Catfishers" and senior officer and a cyber branch chief at the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) within the Department of Defense (DOD)

• Beth Grant DeRoos

How often should one change their passwords?
    What is the best security system to have on a computer, iPhone etc?
    And could someone tell me why anyone would take nude photos and send them via a iPhone, computer which are not 100% secure?
    Makes one wonder what secrets that could cause major harm are being shared, without secure protection online.

• Mrs. Eccentric

Hi Beth! “And could someone tell me why anyone would take nude photos and send them via a iPhone, computer which are not 100% secure?”

i can!!

People like sex. 🙂 Happy Day!!! Steph

• Bob Fry

Changing passwords is less important than using very good ones, and very good ones are at least 8-10 characters, randomly generated, and different for each site. That means using a password manager, more cumbersome than just remembering a few different passwords.

Also use two-factor authentication whenever possible. Google has a good system for this (GMail), as do Dropbox and several other sites.

• Mrs. Eccentric

Hi Bob! even if you have a great password, there’s still a number of ways for hackers to get that password – man in the middle attacks, war driving, etc. So passwords are important but you can’t rely on them overmuch. The guest is doing a good job of looking at the big picture, rather than focusing on one technological ‘fix it’.

• Lance

What many people fail to understand, is in trusting an external entity with their data does equate security. Cloud storage, is a conscious trade off of less security for convenience.

• $2870056

Sony Corporation includes cloud software “free” (storage and features) with its cameras/camcorders. You cannot use it stand-alone with the device you bought and your computer only. You must upload to their cloud. You must “join” in addition to buying the camera. Their “agreement” also tells you they will have ownership rights to images and videos you store on their service/software.

• Ben Rawner

These big companies are making money hand over fist on the Internet and our privacy is not only not important, but also tradable as a commodity. As for person info, the idea that any of our information is not already in the hands of hackers somewhere is laughable. Just add the numbers for Target Hack, Home Depot hack, Chase Hack, and others and it surpasses billions let alone the 300 million Americans. Privacy is dead.

• renv

Evaluating online information and being safe on the web are prime examples of topics that school librarians teach. Next time your kid’s school proposes cutting their librarian, consider everything you heard on today’s program.

• Bob Fry

Yeah, the problem is the adult librarian knows much less about technology than the kids they’re supposed to protect and “evaluate information” for.

• Droo

Thats a terrible assumption.

Does this mean that all older generations are not worthy of being listened to because they don’t understand the technology?

Additionally, evaluating information online is not a technology dependent thing – the information you find on Yelp or in magazines are both the written word and the skills you use to evaluate Yelp reviews should be similar skills you use to evaluate magazines or newspaper articles.

• Mrs. Eccentric

hi Droo! additionally, many ‘older generation’ people are technology whizzes. Both my mom and my dad (in ther 70’s) were on the internet many years before i.

And your point about evaluating information not being tech-dependent stands. Happy Day!

• darqmyth

Has anyone thought of asking a friend with similar interests and taste or maybe…just go to the restaurant and find out for yourself….imagine a real non-predigested, non-curated EXPERIENCE.

• Ruth Sieber

Re: earlier comment about online behavior and being circumspect about what you say and share. I think people may be removing their masks and revealing a truer picture of themselves than societal norms allow. There’s a certain freedom presented by the internet not available in daily hum-drum life.

• Ed

What about kids with learning disabilities?

• Ed

Call Senator Feinstein to report cyberstalking and get a referral

• Adrian

Why don’t we have standard software privacy policies that companies are forced to select from as opposed to the consumer being forced to read each uncomprehendable policy out there?

• $2870056

PRIVACY
    PIRACY

Corporations dropped the “v” and switched around two letters and tell us there is no difference now.

• R. Paul Singh

Your data is insecure so long as it is in any cloud service. One way to secure your data is to encrypt it but have the control in your hand and not in the service provider hand. There are many programs that may do it but the one I use since my previous company created is documents.me available on App Store in iOS which allows you to encrypt your files no matter where they are stored – Dropbox or Box or Google Drive or SkyDrive. The key to the document is in your device and not with any of these providers.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor