(Courtesy DanielLevitin.com)

Neuroscientist Daniel Levitin gives practical advice to those of us drowning in email, constantly misplacing our belongings and struggling to multitask in his new book, “The Organized Mind.” We’ll talk with Levitin about staying focused and productive in the face of information onslaughts. Levitin is also the author of “The World in Six Songs” and “This is Your Brain on Music.”

Guests:
Daniel Levitin, author of "The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload"

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Am interested in Dr Levitin’s views on those who have aspergers and dislike noise or distractive environments. Once I got rid of the tv, and embraced a more minimalist lifestyle, life became more organized overall.

• zorgparts

His comment about kids learning facts somewhat off-base. Kids love facts and while they should be able to look up facts and start to learn how to judge the validity of sources they should not be deprived from the knowledge that catch their interest.

• Felicity Dashwood

I receive hundreds of emails a day (sometimes as many as 1000) at work and always fall behind on filing and deleting. I’m too busy to file and organize as they come in, and rarely find time to go back and organize later. Any tips on staying on top of this?

• Mrs. Eccentric

I love my index cards! Especially unlined – you can draw a little sketch or attach a fabric swatch or magazine photo in addition to your notes (i sew). Writing something in pen, pencil, or color, doodling, etc. all create a unique tactile memory which is much more powerful than tapping incessantly on a keyboard.

re: worrying you’re getting Alzheimer’s when really you’re distracted. For years my mom has worried she’s getting senile dementia because we’ll discuss something and when i bring it up later she doesn’t remember our conversation. But i can tell that she is not paying attention the ‘first time around’, so how can she remember something she never noticed to begin with? I can spot exactly the conversations she won’t remember later by her distracted manner.

I told her about this for years before she caught herself doing it a few times and agreed with me. She worries less about her memory now, which is good.

Mindfulness meditation and yoga are both wonderful practices for developing the power to concentrate.

Interesting show! steph

• Lorraine Reuther

Anyone who was trained with Covey’s 7 Habits and his time management quadrants is doing exactly what the organized mind should do.

• leslie martin

Does Dr. Levitin have any advice re: organization for adults w ADD? Is there any neurological connection between Alzheimer’s and lack of organization, or even ADD? Hope not!

• Ben Rawner

A few questions…
    Is there a time limit on focus? (1,2,3 hrs)
    How does one stay motivated?
    (I used to chant “I like statistics” 20 times before going to class everyday)
    Are successful people more organized and neat?

• ES Trader

Can you comment on the infrastructure of the mind, on the neurons that enable all the functions and the regeneration of such as it is affected by brain injuries such as a stroke to restore motor functions, speech etc.

• Rozalina Gutman

In regards to multi-tasking: As the music educator, I’ve observed that multi-tasking in music making is based on both the skills, converted into subconscious and those that we continue to monitor during the process. How music education can foster so much coveted ability to multitask efficiently and effectively?

• darqmyth

Just an observation…is there a vaguely anti-social, anti-interaction thread running through this discussion. I am hearing “I am so busy that I don’t have time or the attention capacity to deal with information or interaction or answering email or…..” What ARE you doing that you don’t have time for life?

• John

Mono-tasking is good advice. Yet multitasking is not doing “everything at once”. One can juggle, i.e., “multitask”, a little bit, just not too much for too long. Multitasking can be useful in the right time, place and proportion, just not always and everywhere. One has to know what is right for the time, place and activity.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor