(JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images))

We begin the week with an update on the Malaysian Airlines crash in Ukraine, on developments in the conflict in the Gaza Strip and on the crisis of migrant children at the U.S.-Mexico Border and immigration reform efforts. We’ll discuss these and other top stories.

Guests:
George Condon, White House correspondent for the National Journal
Simon Montlake, deputy international editor for The Christian Science Monitor
Margaret Talev, White House correspondent for Bloomberg

• Calvin Grady Henley

Since a number of countries including the U. S. have shot down a commercial airline, shouldn’t the point be that we the people of the world need to renounce war and use the resources to secure the well being of all. Of course this will be seen as Polyannish yet the alternative is continuing and escalating disaster.

• Frank

It may never be clear who shot down the Malaysian airliner, but I’d bet it was the CIA. They are, after all, big supporters of the Neo-fascists who took over Ukraine and whose legitimacy is not widely accepted outside of the US media. If you never bother to analyze the news media or apply any skepticism, you will surely conclude it was the “rebels” who did it, because that it what you are supposed to think. But as always you should ask cui bono: Who profits?

US Supports neo-Nàzi paramilitaries in Ukraine:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/burning-ukraines-protesters-alive-neo-nazi-shock-troops-supported-by-us/5381721

• thucy

I frequently disagree with you, Frank, but I share some of your skepticism regarding this tragic crash.

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Malaysia Airlines has had two major losses in the last six months, which begs the question, who is running that airline? And why would ANY airline fly over or near any area with unrest be it Ukraine, Sudan, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt etc?

• Another Mike

By continuing Israel’s settlement-building program, Netanyahu made it clear to Obama, early in Netanyahu’s premiership, that he was going to run Israel as he saw fit, and that Obama just needed to get out of the way. Israel has enough friends in Congress to keep the billions of foreign aid flowing every year.

• thucy

I just started this ML Schrad book, it’s an interesting digression on autocratic rule establishing itself by essentially keeping its people in a constant state of intoxication, the title is:

VODKA POLITICS: ALCOHOL, AUTOCRACY AND THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE RUSSIAN STATE

http://www.vodkapolitics.com/Vodka_Politics.html

• Another Mike

Obama has lost any personal power he once had, and the GOP is trying to eliminate whatever positional power he ever had. Maybe he should step down and let Biden have a shot at it.

• optikool

Or we could just get rid of Republicans in the House and finally get some work done. That seems the more logical approach.

• ES Trader

The CIA shooting down the plane, Obama stepping down…………unbelievable !!

You guys left out the moon landing, JFK assasination, Bermuda Triangle, Amelia Earhardt and Jimmy Hoffa !

• thucy

I take your point, however, one need only look at all the other idiotic acts the CIA has involved itself in to be a rational skeptic about the “confirmation” that it was “rebels”.

• ES Trader

too many Le Carre novels and movies.

• thucy

No, I’m afraid my reading, due to time constraints, is for the most part limited to The New York Times and The Economist. Haven’t had time for a movie in ages. Both publications have provided more than enough coverage of our mostly well-meaning but largely inept CIA.

• ES Trader

All fun n games I see… what’s Greg Ip saying about Janet Yellin these days ?

• Ben Rawner

If the Palestinians got their own state wouldn’t ISIS just absorbe the weak state into their Kalif?

• Bloopsie

To Hamas, Israel is not a 1967 problem, it is a 1948 problem. The mere existence of the state of Israel is an anathema to Hamas.

• Another Mike

Hamas claims they would be satisfied with a return to the 1967 borders, and extending the right of return to all former residents of Palestine/Israel.

• rick d.

If this is truly the case, let Hamas start by acknowledging Israel’s right to exist!

• Another Mike

I’m sure that if Israel offered to return to its 1967 borders, and extended the right of return to all former residents of Palestine/Israel, then Hamas would agree to acknowledge its right to exist.

• rick d.

It has to start with Hamas – no country would ever make a concession to another that denies its right to exist – that is the crux of the problem.
            And that’s what the caller suggested – think about it in your own country. Would you concede to a neighbor that threatens to annihilate you?
            As to 1967 borders – Israel has to have safe borders? Have you ever visited the country? By way of example – Imagine driving to West Marin along Sir Francis Drake with a deadly enemy sitting on top of the ridge to the north – that’s the Golan Heights/
            For many years I have maintained that if every country in the world acknowledged Israel’s right to exist, we would have lasting peace with acceptable negotiated borders within months. The key issue is that too many countries do not want a Jewish state.

• Another Mike

Growing up in a country that prizes freedom of religion, I can’t relate to the desirability of a theocracy. What are the advantages and disadvantages? If we accept a Jewish state, do we have to acknowledge a Muslim state? Is there a Jewish equivalent to Sharia law?

When a country agrees to Israel’s “right to exist,” what exactly is it agreeing to? “Right to exist” is not a concept in international law. Other countries “recognized” the US, back after we fought for independence. None “acknowledged our right to exist.”

And every country has borders. Has Israel tried befriending its neighbors? Its history is lined with invasions and attacks. Not the kind of neighborliness one hopes for.

• rick d.

You may have nailed the root problem – the concept of theocracy.

We do acknowledge many Moslem states – in fact about 52 of them. We also acknowledge Episcopalian, Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran and likely other Christian faith states I have missed; not to mention Bhuddist and other religions ….. where all these religions are established State religions.

Bur when it comes to one, single Jewish state – there is another standard. And this despite centuries of Jewish persecution, repeated pogroms and genocide; a Jewish state may have saved many lives.

What am I missing here? Why is the Jewish State singled out for criticism of it theocratic basis?

As to neighborly – in 1948 Israel had no interest in fighting its neighbors … it was the neighbors that immediately massed soldiers and weapons on the newly created borders. Was that neighborly? Should the newly formed state just rolled over and accepted an invasion?

Let’s adopt the same standards for all!

• Bloopsie

As far as I know the Charter of Hamas has not been revoked:

The Islamic Resistance Movement believes that the land of Palestine has been an Islamic Waqf throughout the generations and until the Day of Resurrection, no one can renounce it or part of it, or abandon it or part of it. No Arab country nor the aggregate of all Arab countries, and no Arab King or President nor all of them in the aggregate, have that right, nor has that right any organization or the aggregate of all organizations, be they Palestinian or Arab, because Palestine is an Islamic Waqf throughout all generations and to the Day of Resurrection.

[Peace] initiatives, the so-called peaceful solutions, and the international conferences to resolve the Palestinian problem, are all contrary to the beliefs of the Islamic Resistance Movement. For renouncing any part of Palestine means renouncing part of the religion; the nationalism of the Islamic Resistance Movement is part of its faith, the movement educates its members to adhere to its principles and to raise the banner of Allah over their homeland as they fight their Jihad: “Allah is the all-powerful, but most people are not aware.”

In order to face the usurpation of Palestine by the Jews, we have no escape from raising the banner of Jihad.

And of course, my personal favorite because it exposes Freemasons and Rotary Clubs as the covert Zionist entities that they are:

The enemies have understood that role, therefore they realize that if they can guide and educate [the Muslim women] in a way that would distance them from Islam, they would have won that war. Therefore, you can see them making consistent efforts [in that direction] by way of publicity and movies, curricula of education and culture, using as their intermediaries their craftsmen who are part of the various Zionist Organizations which take on all sorts of names and shapes such as: the Freemasons, Rotary Clubs, gangs of spies and the like. All of them are nests of saboteurs and sabotage. Those Zionist organizations control vast material resources, which enable them to fulfill their mission amidst societies, with a view of implementing Zionist goals and sowing the concepts that can be of use to the enemy.

• Another Mike

If I understood the difference between a Waqf and an usufruct, I could respond to this intelligently.

• Bloopsie

usufruct: the right to enjoy the use and advantages of another’s property short of the destruction or waste of its substance.

waqf:an inalienable religious endowment

OK…go…

• Another Mike

Israelis are welcome to live and work where they are as long as they realize their land they’re sitting on is an inalienable religious endowment.

• Bloopsie

The charter is not speaking to and of Israel or Israelis in this context. It is saying that the Palestinians own all of Israel as an inalienable religious endowment and are not satisfied with mere accessibility to it.

• Bloopsie

Sept 30, 2013: “We will not recognize any agreements at the expense of our land, rights and religious sites,” Asharq al-Awsat quoted Hamas officials on Sunday. “Palestine — the whole of Palestine from the [Mediterranean] sea to the [Jordan] river [i.e., Israel] — is the property Palestinian people and our nation, and no usurper has any right to a speck of dust of its territory.”

• Another Mike

Yes, Hamas was bitter back then. As that document pointed out, “negotiations and security coordination with the Zionist enemy form a
            cover for the continuation of the occupation’s crimes against our
            territory, our people, and our religious sites.”

• Bloopsie

Back then? 9 months ago? So they’re all fat and happy now? Ready to talk recognition? Trying to find that source…no luck so far…would prefer it in Arabic…

• ES Trader

And cease the missile barrage

• ES Trader

That is my conclusion, it is absolutely astounding how people do not accept that and use the successful and unfortunate casualties of civilians as an issue that this is all on Israel.

Hamas’ charter states that its goal is to wipe Israel off the map and kill all Jews !

• Another Mike

So Israel cannot act, it can only react?

• ES Trader

act/react the point is it must protect its citizens from the indiscriminate rain of Hamas missiles, the endless attempts of subversive acts and risk losing PR support from the rest of the world.

Would you resort to violence to protect your family and home regardless of social consequences ?

• Another Mike

Here in America, if I, a human being, were to react with disproportionate deadly force to an assault, I would be going to prison.

• ES Trader

maybe not if you could afford the right attorney but you avoided answering the question…..never mind its obvious why you did

• ES Trader

The pro Israeli sentimemt of America, despite the loss of life in Gaza, is because Israeli values parallels European and American values. We do not condone suicide bombings and use of human shields; fundamentalist religious philosophy is outside of those parameters.

People need to change with time and passing on yesterday’s hostility to present and future generations cannot have a peaceful outcome.

• Boris Yendler

I’m wondering will Ukrainian government will benefit from downing airplane and blaming “rebels” for this? Actually, Ukrainians did shut down a commercial airplane in 2001, denied it for several days and admitted at the end

• rick d.

Response to Simon??:
    Abbas has NO control over Hamas – it is a platitude and naive and stupid remark to suggest that Israel can turn to him to negotiate with Hamas.
    Yet another Brit in the media who discounts Israel’s position!
    PS This comes from an ex-Brit who left because of this attitude.

• Ramon Tinio

Your guest said that material evidence of a shoot down primarily will come from the aircraft itself. He missed something else: The human body makes an excellent shrapnel stopper.

• Boris Yendler

Frankly, I’d be very careful to believe CIA with “proofs” of “rebels” involvement in downing the airplane. We know about proofs of Weapons of Mass Distraction in Iraq, CIA failure with 9/11, etc.

• ES Trader

“W”, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the rest of the neo-cons sold America the London Bridge as George H.W. and James Baker convinced us that Iraqi Republican guards were tossing babies ( out of incubators) and catching them on bayonets so I am not one to swallow whole anything that DC says, however in this case, unless it was an alien spaceship, it seems unlikely that there was CIA involvement. What would the motive be ?

• Kathleen

Michael: I was very disappointed in your program this morning I guess now I know why the American public is so poorly informed. None of your journalists seem to do anything except mouth the US talking points (or in the case of Gaza the Israeli talking points). One of the basic tenets of journalism is to verify but what but all your speakers seem to do is accept as truth the “facts” alleged by Samantha Powers, John Kerry and now President Obama on the Ukrainian situation. It’s now wonder that no one knew that this area was a war zone. They were probably listening to American journalists like this who are not mentioning how many civilians were bombed from their homes and how many families are refugees by the actions of the American backed Ukrainian government.

It took one of your callers to mention our backing of Honduran coup that may have contributed to the flood of refugees from that country.

All 3 of these situations need much more information for Americans to understand but these reporters didn’t seem to know the background.

• MattCA12

The downing of MH17 is a crime that will, unfortunately, go unpunished. The state and non-state actors involved couldn’t even begin to agree on an investigative approach, never mind the rest of it. The more important issue now is the West’s ongoing appeasement of Putin, chiefly represented by Obama’s rudderless strategic policy towards Russia, and Germany’s very real concerns over antagonizing their principal energy supplier. What is needed now is solidarity of resolve among western nations, against Russia’s despicable and reckless meddling in the affairs of its sovereign neighbors. Putin is a gangster who understands nothing but subterfuge and violence. I can only hope that our CIA is on the case, because nobody else in Washington is.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor