(Getty Images)

Why does a hip replacement cost more than $40,000 on average in the U.S. and less than $8,000 in Spain? What about an angiogram, which costs more than $900 in the U.S. and only $25 in Canada? New York Times reporter and medical doctor Elisabeth Rosenthal has been examining such vexing disparities in her series “Paying Till it Hurts.”

A conversation with Elisabeth Rosenthal on "Meeting the Challenge of Communicating Rio+ 20":

Guests:
Elisabeth Rosenthal, medical doctor and correspondent for the New York Times

• Marianne Gammon

Thank you so much for shining the light on this issue, especially our local Sutter system. I’ve never experienced such ruthless profit driven behavior as I did while a patient AND an employee of Sutter. I have to laugh (or cry) at their most recent PR campaign headlined by how much they donate to the community AND even more hilarious their “Me Plus You” tag line, which I always edit to “You Plus Me Plus my Wallet”. Much more accurate….

• Margret Schaefer

When I received a medical bill for $15,000 recently, I couldn’t imagine what it was for, as I didn’t recall having any major medical intervention. I found out that it was for “three epidural injections” I had for back pain (the doctor had said he would give me one, but he evidently put in into three different place places). And that wasn’t the end of it–to that was added a “doctor’s fee” and an “anesthesiologist” fee which together amounted to about another $5000! I called the office questioning the charges, and was told that the office used the “medical biller” to bill me, and that their charges were in the 60% range–i.e. slightly more than the average. Of course my insurance paid much less than that–but …
    ps. The doctor had an interest in the “surgical suite” in which these injections were done. And–oh yes–it didn’t do any good at all….!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor