(HAZEM BADER/AFP/Getty Images)

The bodies of three Israeli teenagers missing since June 12 were found Monday close to the West Bank city of Hebron. Israel suspects two members of Hamas, but they remain at-large in spite of the arrest of over 400 Palestinians. Hamas has denied involvement in the abduction and killing, which has heightened tensions between Israel and a new Palestinian unity government, which is backed by Hamas.

Guests:
Andy David, consul general for Israel, serving the Pacific Northwest region
Diana Buttu, human rights attorney, former legal advisor to Palestine Liberation Organization Chairman Mahmoud Abbas and Palestinian negotiators

• Chris OConnell

The Israeli reaction is quite extreme, killing many more than three with plans for a lot more underway. Hmm, I wonder if there are other, historic occupations which engaged in similar retributions…

• thucy

hmmm… could you be thinking of the Afhanistan fiasco or the invasion of Iraq?

• Chris OConnell

No, it’s a lot worse, I was watching Oliver Stone’s Untold History of the US and he covers World War II in some death I mean depth (leaving original Freudian slip), including the occupation of Ukraine.

• SamXie

Personally,I feel Israel’s the percision strikes on rocket launchers and terror installations have showed remarkable restraint. In the bay area, there has been no word from our mass media on the rocket attacks from Gaza- people just do not know what the civilians of Israel are facing. Supporters of Israel need to be more vocal and outspoken in codemning these attacks on the Israeli public.

• Beth Grant DeRoos

SamXie sadly the San Francisco bay area is to PC to ever support Israel.

• Chris OConnell

You are just so brave, such a pioneer of bold thought and action, to take Israel’s side in this conflict against that overflowing pro-Palestinian PC crowd. I could only wish…

• angela

Yeah, you know, cause they must join our Congress, our House of Reps, CNN, FOx, and every other network media outlet and show Israel some love for their current pogroms.

• Chris OConnell

Earth to SamXie, Earth to SamXie: Is there anyone home?

• angela

Oh yes….remarkable restraint. Really the IDF is so sweet. Cause you really have to cut up furniture and stomp on people’s dinner to find the missing teens. Really, so sweet and restrained. http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/soliders-kidnapping-retribution.html

• Never Forget

Oh Angela, the ignorance…. Peopel’s dinner??? more like Terrorist’s festive meal:

“Mr. Abu Aisha’s mother, Nadia, said the Israelis had demolished her house, as they did after another son was killed in 2005 when he tried to hurl an explosive at soldiers. Amer Abu Aisha left behind three children, she said. “I will educate them to be for jihad,” she said. “I promise they will be as their father, to be fighters and to be martyrs.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/01/world/middleeast/Israel-missing-teenagers.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

• angela

Yeah, because they are not supposed to fight for their land. They are supposed to let the Zionists thieves take it from them without fighting back, because you know, they are the chosen ones right? The pics above say it all, the Israelis are the terrorists here no matter what you have been programmed to believe like all the other zionist-bots

• Never Forget

The only bot here is you. You were so sad that the IDF “stomp on people’s dinner” and made sounds like the IDF had no business with these “people”. I am not sure if you didn’t know out of convenience of ignorance that this family are actually terrorists, and that their son IS one of the kidnapper of the 3 now dead teenagers. However, when I pointed out, you used sarcasm to explain that they are supposed to fight for their land, and that the Israelis are the real terrorists. I think that you are the chosen one, not the Israelis. I guess someone needed to be that dumb and you were then chosen one. Congrats!
            Please don’t reply to my comment. I really don’t want to know how you explain the Kidnapping of 3 innocent teenagers to terrorists fight for their land.

• angela

So the so called “teenagers” were found in Hebron. Have you ever been in Hebron, where Israeli settlers plant themselves in the middle of a Palestinian city and terrorize Palestinians daily with their AK 47s? What the hell are they doing there to begin with? They have no business being there. These are the same settlers that erected a statue for Baruch Goldstein, idolizing him for massacring Palestinians in their mosque during prayer services. And, let’s say you are right…let’s say this is the home of the kidnapper. Is this how justice is served in a supposed civilized, democratic nation? Hell no. You do not demolish the home, destroy it in front of the children–this is not how democracy works in Europe or America, only in the barbaric rogue nation of ‘israel”. I am responding to your comment not for you, but to shed light on your ignorance to others. 😀

• utera

People who don’t like precision strikes are just ignorant. Like it or not Israel has more restraint than anyone else in their situation, this is a fact. Your alternatives are send in people on foot always into rabbit warren mazes and sniper infested zones of death, which would create black hawk down situations, and do lefties who bash Israel constantly really remember the death toll of black hawk down? Go google it and enlighten yourself on the cost of such failed operations before you get on your high horse about a few precision strikes.

Considering the war Palestinians have inflicted on Israel over so many decades they are frankly treated with kid gloves. They send tens of thousands of rockets and mortars into Israel a year, and whats the actual response? A few precision strikes. I dare you to ask yourself what was the response to londons bombing by Germany, how many civilians did the uk kill when they just bombed every Germany city they could manage into dust? That is the actual justified response in war, so again, get off your high horse.

• Sean Dennehy

Arresting 400 of the oppressed class to find 3 missing people of the privileged class is something only seen in horribly oppressive regimes.

• thucy

California has 439 incarcerated per 100,000 residents. Given that the vast number of those are incarcerated not for the murder of anyone, but for non-violent drug offenses, and given the disproportionate number of drug arrests of non-white males for offenses rarely prosecuted in the white community, are we also a “horrible oppressive regime?”

• utera

The extreme left getting in bed with extremist right wing fundamentalist muslims and constantly excusing their reprehensible behavior claiming oppression is also… “interesting”. This “privileged” class wouldn’t kill you for your other left wing views I’m sure, this “oppressed” class you so defend would gladly remove your head from your body sean dennehy.

• Ben Rawner

Though I am sad for these young men, I have to point how the Isrealis are terrorizing the Palestinians. Also, why is Hamaas saying that they didn’t do it? thats not their MO. Maybe this is just a hate crime. Dropping bombs on random Palestinians only fuels the fire. When will Isreal learn. For over 70 years they make the same mistakes.

• angela

It’s possible the Mossad killed their own…so that they have an excuse to raid and pillage Palestinian towns and get back the prisoners they had to free in the exchange with the Palestinian government.

• utera

When will you learn, that asking why people hate you doesn’t solve anything. Being that this is a sf show, you should know better.

• ES Trader

Israel carries out assassinations and covert operations but I’m not aware of random acts of terror, car bombings and kidnapping, on the general Palestinian population.

This is just another example of terrorist acts that have manifested in hijackings(Entebbe), 76 Olympics etc,

For anyone in the West to side w/ Palestinians regardless of Israel occupation or expansion is absolute idiocy.

Israel is the sole country with Western values in all of the Middle East. How anyone can deny or dismiss the hostile philosophy of Arabs to the U,S. is inviting disaster.

• Another Mike

Israel has tanks and aircraft, the Palestinians do not.

• SamXie

Yes, and under the circumstances, the Israeli response has been unbeleivably restrained.

• Another Mike

The LORD told Moses to limit reprisals to one eye for one eye, one tooth for one tooth, and one life for one life.

But the usual Israeli ratio is ten Palestinian lives for every Israeli life lost.

• ES Trader

Believing in fairy tales is dangerous, try Wizard of Oz

• Another Mike

Are you saying the rationale for the Jews returning to their homeland is a fairy tale?

• ES Trader

Im saying Biblical references is confusing fiction w/ fact

• Another Mike

So, there are no compelling religious reasons for the Jewish state to be where it is, no commandment of the LORD being complied with, perhaps at best some traditions? Is that what you are saying?

• ES Trader

Both Arabs and Jews have been there for thousands of years and to determine who was there first is irrelevant. Human history is a story of war and more war. Borders could only be maintained by military strength. They were drawn, erased and re-drawn.

So which side has a rightful claim ?

So the only rational answer is compromise. What percent of the area does Israel occupy? Is it plotting to invade the Arabian Peninsula, or cross the Suez into Egypt or push north and make Turkey a direct connection with Europe?

Good fences make good neighbors and in a democratic country courts can adjudicate disputes. In the Middle East, might makes right.

Eventually, if humans survive long enough, this will become a moot point with the continents continuing to establish, once again, a united land mass.

Nethanyahu is not Putin trying to re-store territory.

Hamas, Hezbollah and the rest have a goal of not just pushing Israel into the Mediterranean but all civilization that is not fundametal Muslim. Somrthing happened in the Arab World 1000 years ago that denounced education, science and democracy.

Hamas showed no compassion in this kidnap/execution. They denied complicity, simultaneously call the kidnapping a “heroic” act. Was that a mis-interpretation of translation? Are those the sentiments of a civilized, compassionate peole?

Until man can see a vision of life on earth as Carl Sagan expressed in “the pale blue dot”, military and technological superiority is the only thing preventing Holocaust, chaos and civilization that we enjoy.

Or hope for more factions to develop and have more Arab on Arab hostility.

• Lance

A restrained bully is still a bully.

• ES Trader

Wrong, Israel is simply defending themselves, it’s Hamas and all the other Muslim terrorist groups that are the bully puppeteers masquerading as freedom fighters.
            Arafat exploited the Western guilt of mis-guided celebs like Vanessa Redgrave while his wife goes to Paris for shopping sprees and wearing his gun to address the UN General Assembly, the big bad wolf didnt even try to disguise himself as the kindly old lady.

Look at Karzai in Afghanistan, these people are all in it for themselves at the expense of US taxpayers.

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Am Hamas and those of their ilk get men and women to strap bombs to their bodies to kill innocent Israeli citizens and tourists.

• ES Trader

They outnumber Israelies and thank god they don’t have sophisticated weaponry. If they did it would not be like Kruschev vs Kennedy in Cuban Missile Crisis. These are people who have no regard for human life ans believe suicide bombings are a passport to their idea of heaven.

• Matt

You’ve swallowed the propaganda hook, line, and sinker. Justification for further ethnic cleansing and further brutality by Jewish people against Palestinians. Racism is an evil.

• ES Trader

Right, I either imagined the the ’76 Olympics and ABC staged it all and Jim McKay just read the script when he announced that all the remaining hostages were DEAD, and Daniel Pearl’s wife, and family were all actors and the 3 Israeli teens were just fabricated by the pro-Israeli press, oh and let’s not forget the 1993 WTC bombing and 911, that must have been CGI, created by Hollywood.

You sound like those that didn’t/dib’t believe that the Holocaust happened or that Neil Armstrong walked on the moon

• Matt

And based on a few incidents of violence perpetrated by a few people you then generalize about all Palestinians “these are people who have no regard for human life.” Will you make the same generalization about Israelis who have, since news of finding the corpses of the three Israeli teens in occupied Palestine, have murdered so far, two Palestinian teenagers as ‘revenge’ and the Israeli state forces who have murdered, so far, four Palestinians, and arrested over three hundred in a case of collective punishment, and destroyed homes of families? A few years ago Israeli state forces, in Operation Cast Lead, killed over 1,400 Palestinian children, women, and men. Some of the children they killed with white phosphorous. Do you make the same generalization about Israelis that they “are people who have no regard for human life?” Racism is an evil. The Israeli state is carrying out racist policies of ethnic cleansing, but the propagandists put it in such a way that people like you swallow it and parrot it. Israel and Israelis have killed lots more Palestinians than Palestinians have killed Israelis. Israelis have destroyed thousands of Palestinian homes and displaced thousands of Palestinians. How many homes of Israelis have been destroyed by Palestinians? How many Israeli orchards have been destroyed by the Palestinian state? Have the courage to look at the reality and to understand the facts on the ground, rather than to swallow propaganda and be a sheep. Racism is an evil. Are you sure you want to be part of it?

• ES Trader

OK, then show me the proof that isnt some unsubstantiated bogus propaganda piece by PLO, or funded by an anti Semitc organization.

I suppose that the Israeli government has always been so controlling of all press that reports of Israeli government sponsored genocide against Palestinians has been suppressed.

i never implied that innocent Palestinians were not displaced or even killed as I’m certain all peoples of any race,religion, ethnicity, or region are all evil nor good. But the rational are such a minority that they have no will power and their fate lies with the ones perpetrating violence.

As for the retaliation, that is regretful, but there actions still pale in comparison.

What is the literacy rate of Palestinians and the whole of the “Arab” countries? Illiterate, uneducated, and impoverished people are easily manipulated and preserve old hatreds.

• Matt

Wealthy, educated Americans are also easily manipulated as evidenced by the success of the extensive public relations operations of Israel supporters. Your previous statement in this forum “these are people who have no regard for human life” clearly demonstrates that. That’s what they want you to believe, and they succeeded. They want to dehumanize the people they are brutalizing, and you have gone along with it. That way you and others who have swallowed the propaganda hook, line, and sinker won’t object to the brutality, cruelty, and ethnic cleansing that the Israelis perpetrate against the Palestinians and have been doing for the last 50 years. Those who swallow the propaganda are not likely to demand that the US government stop supporting the oppression and ethnic cleansing of Palestinians with our tax money, to stop aiding and abetting those crimes against humanity in the name of the American people.

Your statement that “the rational are such a minority and that they have no will power…” is again what the propagandists want you to believe. How do you know this? How much time have you spent in Palestine? How many Palestinians have you conversed with? You are buying into the racist stereotypes that Israel supporters want you to buy into. You think you are so magnanimous acknowledging that of course no population can be all evil, yet you are saying that, but for a tiny minority, they are all irrational. You have accepted the racism and incorporated it into your thinking without realizing it. Now that is effective propaganda! Joseph Goebbels is admiring it begrudgingly from the grave.

I invite you to seek sources of information about the conflict in Israel and Palestine that are not from Israel or the US corporate media. You, like many Americans, have been so affected by the propaganda that you take for fact what informed and knowledgable people recognize as propaganda, and then you parrot the propaganda as if it were fact– exactly what the propagandists want you to do.

Be your own man. Think for yourself. Don’t be a sheep who feeds at the propaganda trough and then is lead around by the propagandists.

Below I offer a few sources with which you can begin to de-propagandize yourself. It’s your choice– you can cling to your views formed by propaganda, or you can take the effort to inform yourself and free yourself of the constraints and blinders that swallowing all that propaganda has placed on you.

I wish you courage to confront your current beliefs and realize you’ve been snookered. Many are too cowardly to do so. It’s up to you whether you choose courage or cowardice. Racism is an evil, do you really want to be part of that?

Democracy now covers the conflict in Israel/Palestine well http://www.democracynow.org.

Dr. Norman Finkelstein’s scholarship is impeccable and his knowledge and analysis of the conflict is a refreshingly honest look– of course he has been smeared by the propagandists who seek to hide the reality of the brutality of the occupation and ethnic cleansing.
            http://normanfinkelstein.com

http://electronicintifada.net provide perspectives on the conflict and the lives of Palestinians that you won’t find in the corporate media.

• ES Trader

I stopped believing in Santa as a 6yo when I came here. We did not have a fireplace for Santa to come down and there were no reindeer/sleigh tracks in the snow on the roof or ground and I never believed in the “tooth fairy” nor in a God, god, Allah, Buddah or any other man created deity.

So thanks for the link and I will look into Finklestein’s reputation.

Nevertheless, I read Bernard Lewis’ “What Went Wrong”, aware of the the Ayatollah’s fatwa on Rushdie, Theo van Gogh murder etc.

What is the literacy rate in Palestine, since you present yourself as an informed individual.

Why does Taliban and I guess ISIS advocate women being covered head to toe? Are Muslim bombers not told that they will have a dozen virgins? Adulterous women are not stoned to death? Was Malala Yousafzai, not a assassination survivor?

I grew up during the Vietnam era and what the American government did to suspend Japanese Americans’ Constitutional Rights after Pear Harbor makes me a doubter of government = truth & justice but my conclusions are based on what I believe to be facts

• Matt

There are horrible things committed by religious fanatics, including fundamentalist Muslims. Those who support Israel and its oppression of the Palestinian people and the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people have worked very hard to get people to equate Palestinians with fanatics, and as your post demonstrates, they have had considerable success. They want you to think they are irrational and that it’s either supporting Israel and its brutal occupation and ethnic cleansing, or it’s the extremes you cite. That’s a false dichotomy created by the propagandists to create fear and justify their brutality and their dispossession of the Palestinan people of their homes and lands.

You see, this is a discussion about Israel and Palestine, and here you are talking about a girl from Pakistan and people in Afghanistan. They’ve gotten you to conflate them. Don’t fall for that.

Let’s not forget the Jewish religious fanatic, Baruch Goldstein, from Brooklyn, who murdered 29 Palestinians while they were at prayer, or the Jewish fanatic who murdered Yitzhak Rabin, former prime minister of Israel. You see, fanaticism is not limited to Muslims, but the biased press and the propagandists like to make you think it is, and they have succeeded. Indeed many point to Jewish fanaticism as the force behind the oppression and ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people. Many Jewish people say that God wants Jews to occupy Palestine, and that justifies the brutality and ethnic cleansing of Palestinians, be they Muslim or Christian. If you don’t believe in fairy tales and religious myths, then would you take the position that the religious mythology of the Jews is justification for the ethnic cleansing and oppression of the Palestinian people?
            Did you know that before Israel took over Palestine, there was a considerable Palestinian Christian population there? Now they are a tiny percentage of the population. Ask a Palestinian Christian why they left, and they will tell you that they were driven out by Israelis.

My message to you, my friend, is don’t buy the propaganda.

• ES Trader

I already stated my “natural” skepticism.

What is your background, are you Muslim?

Your claims remind me too much of the Jim Carrey movie “Truman Show”,a Japanese TV reality comedy show, I recently heard of, or the BBC series “The Prisoner”

• Matt

The kidnapping, murder, and burning– yes, that’s right burning, that barbaric, racist practice that white people used to do to black people in the South– of the 17-year-old Palestinian boy Mohammed Abu Khudair, apparently by Jewish colonists in the West Bank as a ‘revenge’ killing, is a clear demonstration that what the Israeli supporters and the propagandists working with them want you, and up until now have succeeded in making you believe, that Israelis and Jewish colonists in occupied Palestine, whom they like to call “settlers,” are victims, and that Palestinians are the crazed aggressors, is false. This incident displays the ugly, bloodthirsty, and racist attitudes that exist among some Israelis. Israeli people marching around chanting “Death to Arabs” also puts the lie to the propagandistic notion that the Israelis are the victims. How many more Palestinians are they gonna kill? For what other atrocities and ethnic cleansing will the Israel state and Jewish colonists in occupied Palestine use the murder of the three teenage Israelis as a pretext, a justification? More “settlements,” more destruction of Palestinian homes, more taking of land from Palestinians, the natives, to give to Jewish people who grew up in Brooklyn, Australia, England, Russia, or anywhere else. Ethnic cleansing is a racist evil.

• ES Trader

You never answered the question, what is your background, are you Muslim ?

• ES Trader

Just curious what your reaction is to Israeli’s quick arrest, confession of the 3 accused killers of the Palestinian teen and Nethanyahu’s statement that Israel will prosecute ALL terrorists w/out regard to sides?

• Matt

Your question speaks to the effectiveness of the propaganda of the Israeli state and its supporters, as this is precisely the impression they want to give people, that they prosecute all terrorists. The reality is that Netanyahu is largely responsible for the death of the teenage Israeli colonists who were apparently killed by Palestinians as well as the teenage Palestinian boy who was lynched and burned to death by Israelis.

Why were the Israeli teenagers even in occupied Palestine? ( First of all it should be noted that the occupation is illegal by international law.) Because they are part of the “settlements,” which is part of the ethnic cleansing policy of the Israeli state, supported by Netanyahu, to dispossess the Palestinian people of what little remaining land they still have. A few Israeli colonist teenagers get killed, and that gives Netanyahu and other racist Israeli politicians a pretext to perpetrate further brutality against the Palestinians and a pretext to steal even more land from the Palestinians. The Israeli state has destroyed the homes of men they suspect of perpetrating the murder of the colonists– no trial, no evidence presented. What about the families living in those houses?

Before the Palestinian teenager was abducted and burned to death by Israeli terrorists, Netanyahu was inciting Israelis to violence. He even used the word revenge in public comments before the Israeli terrorists killed the Palestinian teenager. So, Netanyahu has blood, mostly Palestinian, but also Israeli blood, all over his hands.

The mistaken impression that you appear to have, because of the effectiveness of the Israeli propaganda and their supporters who are found all over the world, and unfortunately have way too much influence in our government to the detriment of the American people, that Israel prosecutes all terrorists can be easily shown to be false through a recent incident: An American teenager was visiting his family in east Jerusalem. He is a cousin to the child who was lynched by Israelis. He was peacefully observing a protest when all of a sudden Israeli soldiers began to brutally beat the child with batons. It was caught on tape. They didn’t know he was American, and so they did what they typically do to Palestinians– perpetrate brutality because the child is Palestinian, and the brutality of the Israeli forces is directed at Palestinians, fundamentally racist.

If he weren’t American, we wouldn’t have heard about this, but he is American, so now the news has gotten out. What happened to that kid has happened to thousands of Palestinians, we just don’t hear about it because our media censors it, making it so that people like you believe the lies that Netanyahu tells. The silver lining of that cloud, is that hopefully now people such as yourself, will begin to understand the real nature of the Israeli occupation and its brutality, that you have been lied to and swallowed propaganda, and now you will be in a better position to evaluate statements made by Israeli politicians and Israel supporters and recognize them as propaganda. Hopefully it will lead to people like you less willing to let our government support the racist and brutal state of Israel and its campaigns of ethnic cleansing in the name of the American people, and with our money.

The other thing to point out is that Netanyahu knows that he can get away with murder as long as it is in the guise of “fighting terrorism” and as I have previously pointed out to you, the more he can convince people like you to think that Palestinians are all terrorists (remember that you stated that only a small percentage of Palestinians are rational, demonstrating the effectiveness of the propaganda, and that you had swallowed it hook, line, and sinker) the more murder he can get away with. And he and Israel literally get away with murder, thousands of murders. However, the lynching of teenage boy, well, Netanyahu knows that he has to react to that for PR reasons. That’s not gonna go over with Americans, whose tax money he uses to oppress and brutalize Palestinans and steal their land, and so he has to make a statement about that to give the impression of justice. And your question shows that it works, as you appear to think he is providing justice for all.

Yesterday’s Democracy Now! explored these issues with guests and perspectives that you will never hear in the US corporate media. I am giving you the links to the three segments about Israel/Palestine from the show:

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/8/report_from_gaza_israel_launches_new

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/8/the_incitement_starts_at_the_top

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/8/absolutely_unjustifiable_aunt_of_us_teen

I know that it can be tough to realize you’ve been fed lies and believed them, and some people’s response is to cling to their old beliefs and go down the path of denial. On the other hand, truth can be liberating and spur people to positive action. I wish the latter for you. Don’t be duped! Realize that all governments lie, including our own. Be courageous. Don’t support racism, apartheid, and ethnic cleansing. Good luck to you!

• utera

Generalized support for Palestinian muslim extremist ideology exists in the population. This is a people who revere the mothers of suicide bombers on all their forms of media. Trying to paint the monsters as something other than what they’ve chosen for themselves is a rather bizarre thing to see on the left. Where tolerant Israelis, who had frankly more gay friendly laws on their books even before this recent change in attitude on homosexuality in America are painted by leftists as monsters who just for no reason go after these “poor innocent Palestinians”

Its just interesting to watch the sf left get behind muslims extremists who would remove their heads from their bodies for the rest of their views they hold.

Israeli reactions are extremely restrained. The “policies” are based on having to keep a rabid dog at bay, the Palestinians carry on the ethos of the grand mufti of Palestine, who was a Nazi. That is a fact, he even raised muslims SS brigades for the fuhrer, and his legacy of Nazi hatred exists to this day, unpunished in the muslim and Palestinian population. Your excusing and denial of this fact does them no favors and has put them in the position they have been in for all these decades.

Why does Israel treat them the way they do? Because they have proven they are not to be trusted and that their hatred and willingness to kill is intolerable. Sorry but the fact is Palestinians fired tens of thousands of rockets and mortars a year into Israel, and what was israels response? Almost nothing compared to what is justified historically. Germany bombs londdon? The uk flattens german cities. We get a naval base bombed? We flatten Nagasaki with nukes, Tokyo with firebombs. Israel suffers endless bombardment? They barely strike back, and all the while leftists excuse Palestinian behavior while demonizing the Israelis. Its incredible to see the phenomenon.

Facts on the ground? Palestinian children are taught hate, their media teaches them hate. You fixate on orchards when people die. The destruction of orchards is the least the Palestinians deserve historically, let alone when there isn’t even an English channel between them never mind france, can you imagine the uk reaction if german shared a land border with Germany never mind populations living that close together increasing the threat that much more?
            Operation cast lead? Sorry again, your prejudice is showing with your lack of context. The palestinians literally fired tens of thousands of rockets into Israel during that time. They created a situation where response was inevitable, and the justified response by historical standards would be far worse, it was but for Israeli restraint that more didn’t die, assuming your figures are even remotely correct because Palestinians have a bad habit of rigging such facts. Your leftist misunderstanding of those you defend is your down fall, you don’t seem to understand that for these people, death is not a problem, western misunderstanding of a culture which enshrines martyrdom creates people who are just incredibly naïve and ignorant. Palestinians tactics which promote the deaths of not just Israelis and its own people are a perfect win win tool for the manipulation of useful idiots. You have to understand your blind defense of these people enables their tactics. When they aim to kill Israelis they win, when they know the reaction will cause their own civilian deaths, they again win, martyrs and sympathy, and so they continue down their path of hatred and destruction with support from people like you. Not only do you excuse their behavior but your kind have enabled this self destruction for decades.
            Are you really bringing in the moral calculus of death count because by that standard the US was the monster during world war 2, not Germany or japan, not many US babies died during world war 2, lets not kid ourselves.

Racism is evil, that’s for sure, but one should ask what kind of distorting force on people would cause otherwise progressive people to throw their support behind the most vicious of right wing muslim fundamentalists who are against everything else they believe in…..
            The Palestinian culture is the result of leadership under those like the Grand Mufti of Palestine who raised muslim SS brigades for the fuhrer, his legacy continues to this day in that part of the world…racism? Don’t even start on it.

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Palestine has tens of millions of suicide bombers including women willing to strap bombs to their body to kill innocent Israeli citizens, tourists etc.

• Another Mike

So you support giving Palestinians tanks and aircraft, so they no longer need to strap bombs to their own bodies?

• utera

We should have shipped the atom bomb to japan before we used it, only fair… this is leftist thinking at its best.
            And America and japan in world war 2? Morally equal, everyone knows this! Everyone is morally equivalent except the jews.

• Another Mike

The Japanese had tanks and aircraft. And, like the Germans, the Japanese had a nuclear weapons development program. The Americans just got there first.

But this reminds me: there is one rogue nuclear state in the Middle East. Can you guess which one it is? Hint: it is not Iran.

Moral equivalence is a tough question. Japan had attacked the US of course. They also had invaded and were occupying the Philippines, Malaya, Indonesia, etc. Already for thirty years they had occupied Korea. Are countries that invade and occupy other countries the good guys or the bad guys?

• Chris OConnell

Yes, tens of millions of suicide bombers even though there is hardly 10 million Palestinians in the world! The racist caricature is sad but entrenched, I guess.

• Lance

Western values is not an excuse for Israel to disenfranchises another population.

Someone will always have an extremist philosophy. The goals Israel should meet is to balance it out with a less hostile, and more economically inclusive policies to create stronger regional stability.

When people have something to lose (family/home/wealth), they’re less likely to want to take risk to lose it.

Right now the hubris in Israeli policies are giving a very disgruntled people nothing to lose by accepting an extremist view, and becoming actively hostile.

• ES Trader

You assume they have Judaeo-Christian values and ignore the be-headings like Daniel Pearl, the ship-jacking of Achillo Lauro, the 1976 Munich hostage, the Raid on Entebbe, 911, the underwear bomber, Boston 2013, Benghazi …….

The Marquis of Queensbury rules do not apply in a street brawl

• Another Mike

The group that attacked the Achille Lauro has renounced terrorism and acknowledged Israel’s right to exist, while the group of Entebbe kidnappers opposes both Hamas and Fatah, considering them illegitimate.

• ES Trader

Oh I see if you hijack a cruise ship, murder a Jewish old man then re-nounce it that makes it acceptable, I’ll have to make certain you are on the jury when I rob, beat, rape the women, then kill her as long as I repent

• Another Mike

Comments that imply that one group of 1.6 billion people think in a uniform manner are not helpful — especially when some abjure their horrendous practices and beliefs, while others think the current government of Palestine isn’t radical enough.

• ES Trader

Is that Israel’s doing or is illiteracy, education, fomenting ancient hatreds and nationalism the product of Palestinian leadership? Uneducated people without fact an in poverty are easily led.

• Chris OConnell

I guess this is what people mean by anti-Muslim racism. I know Islam is not a race, but there is real racism and xenophobia expressed here.

• ES Trader

Racism implies prejudice. I am not pre-judging, terrorism, murder, kidnapping, actually occured against Israeli’s, against Americans…..nothing imagined here

• Sam Badger

“Judeo-Christians” came up with concentration camps, global imperialism, industrialized child labor, death squads and agent orange, chump. Read what happened to the Californian businessmen who butchered Native Americans – women, children and men alike. All westerners must support it, that’s not prejudice, nothing imagined here. What a bunch of savages.

• ES Trader

OK so how far back in human history do you want to re-visit?

We probably killed and ate each other at one time too.

• Another Mike

Ms. Buttu’s account is consistent with what I am reading on Haaretz.com.

• Sean Dennehy

Mr. Krasny, I’m afraid Mr. David has been the least honest guest you’ve ever had.

• SamXie

Over the past 2 weeks, Palestinian shopkeepers in the Hebron area were asked to destroy surveillance videoes that might contain info to facilitate the recovery of the kidnapped boys. The Palestinians were also warned not to share information via social media- the entire community colluded to prevent these boys from being found- and I feel certain that the community is colluding in hiding the assailants. To Diana Butto- nothing you have said can rationalize the killing of children, and the cover-up of this crime.

• Lance

It’s become a them vs us situation the reasons are many, but mostly economic. Look in any area of the United States that is poor, and this same behavior takes place. This isn’t to say the local population should behave in such a way, but that they are encouraged to behave that way due to the balance of economies and power.

The Stanford experiment on behavior when there’s a vast gap in power applies to this and any situation with poor equity.

• SamXie

There is tremendous poverty as well as tremendous wealth in the Palestinian territories. (Mahmoud Abbas earns a million dollars a month salary) There is also trememndous poverty and tremendous wealth in Israel, so no, I don’t buy into what you are saying.

• Another Mike

People in Israel can buy concrete, insulation, and lumber without triggering international scrutiny.

• Chris OConnell

A million dollars a month? It is the internet so I guess we can all just make things up and assert them.

• utera

Don’t bring up the prison experiments.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4102

They were based on flawed research.

• Another Mike

The convicted fraudster who wrote that analysis raised questions without letting Zimbardo respond to them. They may be insignificant; they may be devastating. As total novices in the field of psychology, neither the blogger nor I am in a position to judge.

• Chris OConnell

You just make these things up, it appears.

• Nick

I had to leave before the end of the interview, but what I cannot understand is how the Consul General cannot see the dead Palestinian Children as the same as dead Israel Children. Why does he indicate it is OK to kill children if they are Palestinian? And that is the problem. Both Isreal and the US value Isreal citizens above Palestinians. And there will never be peace until they start treating everyone as equals instead of inferior.

• ES Trader

He didn’t say it was ok but let’s face it which side is more brutal ?

• Chris OConnell

Absolutely no doubt. Let’s count the bodies.

• SamXie

If body count is your guage of power and oppression, then Japan and Germany were the victims of World War II. There is a huge difference with Palestinians targeting Israeli civiliians vs the Israelis targetting terror installations, and there is no moral equivilent between the two.

• thucy

Sorry, I think your count is way off. How many Germans died in WWII? Japanese?
            Now let’s count Soviets, conservative estimate at 20 million, possibly up to 40 million.

• Chris OConnell

Yes, his count is way off and in some ways goes to my point. Yes, body count is not a gauge of brutality. (You can just look at the photos of the houses of the alleged suspects in the killing of the Israelis. No bodies, but all the dishes destroyed, all the food destroyed, all the furniture destroyed, and then finally the house destroyed. Untold brutality and no bodies.)

As far as World War II, the German and Japanese fascists killed oh so many more people than deaths they suffered at other’s hands.

Israelis have no problem targeting civilians, destroying power plants and sewage treatment plants for example. Apparently this is the new Israeli talking point: THEY target civililans on purpose (while we only incidentally kill huge numbers of them).

• utera

Fact is the united states and brits killed far more in world war 2 than deaths suffered at others hands, especially when you based this on civilian deaths. Your moral calculus of death count does not wash. It assumes that every Nazi killed when you haven’t lost one of your own or a civilian of your own puts you on the moral low ground, its an absurd way of thinking.
            Israel has incredible restraint, that IS a fact. By the standards of our own behavior and our allies behavior in world war 2, they have the right to do so much more than they actually do. What was the response of the uk to the bombing of its cities with rockets and a few raids? Yes they flattened Germany with no regard for civilian casualties, and we joined in as well. The Palestinians quite literally send in tens of thousands of rockets and mortars a year into Israel and whats their response? A few precision strikes, google it if you don’t believe it. And don’t pretend the murderous intent of the Palestinians lessened by the fact that few Israelis die because of their well run emergency medical response systems and bomb shelters.

• utera

By the moral calculus of death count, japan and Germany hold the moral high ground vs the US in world war 2.
          Don’t go there.

• SamXie

Bret Stephen in the Wallstreet Journal just wrote an article “Where are the Palestinian mothers”. His point is well taken- there has been complete silence from the Palestinian street on the kidnapping and murder of these boys. He writes:

“As for the Palestinians and their inveterate sympathizers in the West, perhaps they should note that a culture that too often openly celebrates martyrdom and murder is not fit for statehood, and that making excuses for that culture only makes it more unfit. Postwar Germany put itself through a process of moral rehabilitation that began with a recognition of what it had done. Palestinians who want a state should do the same, starting with the mothers.”

• Another Mike

I wonder if Bret Stephen calls on Wayne LaPierre to admit guilt after every mass shooting.

• Chris OConnell

Yes, you make a very good point: When will the Palestinians, indeed all the Arabs and Muslims, come out and demonstrate in full support of Israel!? It is really outrageous as the Palestinians starve in their outdoor prison that they don’t do more to demonstrate solidarity with the oppressor.

• utera

They share an outdoor prison because they have decided to teach their children the rabid hatred which got them into that situation in the first place. Sorry, but these aren’t the “vicims” that deserve your sympathy.

• Another Mike

Reminds me of when I worked with two women who found they had something in common. They were both born in the1930s, one in the Philippines, the other in Indonesia. Turned out that each one’s father had been killed by the Japanese occupation force during World War II.

• Jonnie

Zionist…you reap what you sow!

Zionism = Racism

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor