(Meghan Kleon/Austin Kleon/Flickr)

Perhaps no challenge intimidates artists more than promoting their work. Austin Kleon, whose first book urged creative-types to “Steal Like an Artist,” is back with advice on how artists can get noticed. Kleon says his tips, which range from “teach what you know” to “learn to take a punch,” are palpable to even those who hate self-promotion. If you are an artist — tell us — what has worked and what hasn’t as far as getting your work noticed?

Austin Kleon's 10 Tips for Sharing Your Creativity and Getting Noticed

Guests:
Austin Kleon, author of "Show Your Work: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered"

• Bella

Thank you for validating my obituary obsession. I highly recommend getting into genealogy too – stories unfold.

• Dan McSweeney

Hi Austin, last year I delievered a lecture on digital publishing at Adobe in San Jose, and used a page that I stole from your book, “THE WORLD IS A SMALL TOWN,” to frame my story that these artists needed to help one another along in this new technology, and my point was well received – so thanks for that. BTW, I started following your work because I’m a friend of Dan Chaon’s, and also I’m loving the instagram pictures of your son.

• Michelle

Fascinating! I’ve written a chapbook based on the local paper’s Bridge column, a foreign language to me, but one that fed my intuition and creativity and opened a completely new dialogue with language.

• jay

The secret to creativity is hiding your sources – Mark Twain Does your guest find any value in keeping their ‘sources’ hidden?

• lisa

What was the name of the guy he recommended following his twitter feed? NY times editor?

• Stellaa

Yes. Please.

• coctutu

Sam Anderson (@shamblanderson)

• Patrick

Whats your view on humility (VS arrogance)…sometimes people GET a punch for lots of reasons but many times its because of arrogance and shameful self promotion…. It is something that I think many struggle with in terms of pushing oneself out there but being careful not to turn people off…for me, I think that It is much easier to have somemone else tell my story..

• Stellaa

“share something small every day” has been the most pleasurable thing I have ever done. The last three years I have shared one small thing somewhere each day. I realized I never had a desire for a product: book, blog etc. I just want the flickers in time.

• nmc

I agree with what you say about selling out. I worked as a painter for a few years after I ended school and now I work as a fashion designer, and was hired because of my artistic ability, I draw everything and design from the mind, but for some reason that is not good enough for people. I am no longer considered a serious artist to people, but I wouldn’t be where I was if I didn’t practice art every single day. I am more of an artist now than I was when I was solely painting. I still do both, but people think less of you when you actually make money for your artistic talent, ironically the first question anyone asks me when I say I am an artist is “how do you make money.”

• Bianca Kolonusz-Partee

Perfect timing – I just launched my current project, Sri Lanka or Bust, last night on a Facebook project page and my website. My art is very research passed and I wanted to invite everyone into the process rather than just meeting the world at my gallery openings. (www.bkolonuszpartee.com https://www.facebook.com/srilankaorbust?ref=hl). I am an artist because I want to be part of the discussion with the global community of artist past and present. This is a great discussion because like anything else being an artist takes hard work and yes there is not a set place/career in our society. In some ways this frees us to pursue exactly what we are interested in, but it is difficult.

• Lance

How does the guest feel about copyright for Art in this day and age?

• Cecile Lusby

I find the dismissal of history Kleon advocates at odds with his practice of reading obituaries. There is something to learn from the past.

• Rachel from Oakland

I am a working oil painter in the Bay Area, and I find the most important qualities are resilience and a solid work ethic. I paint at least 5 days a week, 6-8 hours a day. Of my “artists” friends, the most successful ones tend to be in love with their craft. Can’t get enough. The reward has to be in the process, not the payout.

• Charles

It is very fashionable these days to be “open source.” But I suspect
    that the biggest proponents of that attitude are not the most creative
    but the most adept at “stealing like an artist” and self promotion. This
    then rewards not creativity but salesmanship.

• Patrick

MAGNIFICENT answer to my input re humility…… I LOVE THE message of “Your work is NOT you”…. this input has been extremely valuable and powerful me…. Thank you also Michael for your transparency about the NY times review…….I just wanted to affirm that this live event is having positive impact…. well done guys.

• Bonnie J. Smith

Stories that is where it is for me. I have always read the obituaries and they have always propelled me on as I realized I could be the one with two lines or the person that left a track in this world. He is also right when he says tell the stories as they are so important. That is my mission in life is to get women to tell more stories through the art they create. Good interview.
    http://www.bonniejofiberarts.com

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor