(kellycorrigan.com)

“Your father is the glitter, and I am the glue.” That’s what Kelly Corrigan’s mother used to tell her about her mother’s ability to keep the family together. In her new memoir, “Glitter and Glue,” Corrigan reflects on her complicated relationship with her mother, and what she learned about motherhood when she was a live-in nanny for a widower in Australia, and when she eventually had her own children.

Guests:
Kelly Corrigan, author of "Glitter and Glue: A Memoir," "The Middle Place" and "Lift;" and creator of Notes and Words, a benefit for Children's Hospital Oakland

• Niketana

Reader Response reveals a lot about how we read and make meaning, and it shows how subjective or relative our responses are. However, there are words on the page that don’t change. It’s not a blank page. In that sense, not all “responses” are valid.

• Debra Kandell Yoffie

Does anyone know the quote on seeing their mother as a woman?

• John O’Donald

MK said an odd thing: “I’m concerned about all my students, especially the bright ones.”

• trite

What about Twain’s comment “Don’t use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do.”?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor