(www.briancopeland.com)

Writer and comedian Brian Copeland’s latest play and third one-man show, “The Scion,” recalls the 2000 shootings of USDA food inspectors at a San Leandro sausage factory. He used police reports and testimony to research his act, but puts a comedic spin on the gruesome crime. Copeland’s first solo show, “Not a Genuine Black Man,” recounted his upbringing in mostly white San Leandro and gained the actor wide acclaim. He joins us.

Guests:
Brian Copeland, comedian, playwright, author and talk show host of KGO's "The Brian Copeland Show;" his new play is "The Scion"

• Copeland has done an excellent job of piquing my interest in this story to which I initially gave but a mere glance–it seemed like your “standard” everyday workplace shooting. But the details that Copeland drew out are utterly fascinating, and really grabbed me. Stuart Alexander was/is a “type” of privileged, egotistical JERK who are far too numerous in the upper reaches of that income bracket. he’s a perfect representative of the archetype of the venal, bullying, self-important and just plain mean and nasty 1%er who is so totally convinced that his wealth means that he is a superior being deserving of special entitlements, including not being burdened with such tedious restrictions like any business regulations at all.

There is such an arrogance within the ranks of our modern-day laissez-faire “rulers of the universe”. They all think that they achieved their business success within a vacuum of their own pure intelligence; the rest of society be damned. Any attempt to regulate their business practices–that almost always involves the heavy-handed stepping on the backs of their exploited employees, competitors, and state regulators–is “class warfare”.

It’s always amazing to me how American society continues to lionize exemplars of this archetype like Donald Trump, who sees nothing wrong with lying, cheating and stealing his way to the top, but cries like a baby at any attempt to even question his business practices. I guess people actually buy into the idea that if they just work hard enough–and let these ethically challenged free-marketeers do whatever they want–there will be a place for them amongst the ranks of the bullies and thieves who make up our leaders of industry. What Stuart Anderson did should come as no surprise at all, and I’m so happy that Brian Copeland saw the incredible narrative and dramatic possibilities within horrible events of the mass shooting in San Leandro.

• Robert Thomas

So, convincing you to renew your subscription to Forbes is out of the question…?

• hee hee 😉

• Robert Thomas

moderniste, how delightfully refreshing that you took this as ever-so-light ribbing!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor