(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

BBC reporter Dawood Azami is likely the first Afghan journalist to visit Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba, where about 220 Afghans have been held by the U.S. military, making them the largest single nationality detained there. In a new BBC documentary, Azami follows former inmates released from Guantanamo as they struggle to readjust to civilian life in Afghanistan. Azami joins us to discuss the living conditions for Afghan prisoners at Guantanamo and their experiences back home, where they are often greeted as heroes.

Guests:
Dawood Azami, senior broadcast journalist for the BBC World Service

• chrisnfolsom

Was the “torture” more that they had to live in a way they did not like by “infidels”, or that they were not tortured and killed as is more the standard in their country – unless of course their family can pay a bribe? “Innocence”, or rule of law is not exactly the same in Afghanistan.

I cannot defend the overall situation – it is very complex and I personally as an American and former soldier am annoyed at the cost in money and resources of the war in lives (both Afghanisani’s and Americans) and the trillions this will cost us.

9/11 was not perpetrated by Muslim bogeymen. It was done by the military industrial complex, with corporations like SAIC Inc. benefitting; as well as by the CIA, who groomed the “perpetrators”; the FBI who confiscated evidence and staged the scene at the Pentagon; Cheney who ordered NORAD to stand down on 9/11; and the military which staged the scene in Pennsylvania. It was a broad conspiracy and represents an effort to undermine democracy and expand our de facto empire.

Follow the money… and question official narratives.

9/11 Mysteries documentary:

Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth
    http://ae911truth.org

Pilots for 9/11 truth:
    http://pilotsfor911truth.org

Firefighters for 9/11 truth:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20110911032318/firefightersfor911truth.org/

• Robert Thomas

When the Buddhas of Bamiyan were dynamited in March 2001, I told a Punjabi cab driver that I greatly feared that contrary to his view, the United States and perhaps its allies would be drawn into conflict there. He thought I was crazy, but I felt a distinct sense of doom.

We Americans made an error when we abandoned conscription and adopted the all-volunteer armed forces. It’s understandable that we did this – I was happy about it at the time. But all wars result in injustice. When a people are tempted to prosecute war, all of their number should be required to bear its burdens, in blood as well as treasure. If the whole people have no stomach for the mixed opportunity for the valorous and corrosive consequences it promises, even the most pinheaded and pea-brained executive is less likely to seek adventure by way of it.

• Another Mike

Disturbed to hear the caller parrot the Bush regime nonsense about the Geneva Conventions. Under the Conventions, you’re either a soldier or a civilian. There’s no such thing as an “unprivileged enemy combatant.” Al-Qaeda served in no one’s army, thus they were civilians, and should be treated as the criminals they were.

But John Yoo, et al., cooked up this nonsense where the US was at war with a non-state actor, then penalized the non-state actor for not wearing uniforms.

• Robert Thomas

To say these malefactors “cooked up this nonsense” is exactly correct, AM.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor