(Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images)

David Strathairn is one of Hollywood’s most versatile actors, with a breadth of work that ranges from action flicks like “The Bourne Ultimatum” to playing the classic newscaster Edward R. Murrow in “Good Night, and Good Luck.” He returns to the stage for a solo show, “Underneath the Lintel” at A.C.T., the story of a librarian who investigates a book that is 113 years overdue. The San Francisco native joins us in-studio.

Guests:
David Strathairn, Academy Award-nominated actor currently in "Underneath the Lintel"

• erictremont

What a fine actor, what I admire about Mr. Strathairn is that he is often the highlight of the movie whether he has a small role (re: “The Firm”) or a large role (“The Bourne Ultimatium” in which he really chewed up the scenery). I have always wanted to ask him: was he satisified with the ending of the 1999 John Sayles film “Limbo”?

• EstouOcupada

I loved David’s work in the show Alphas and was sad to see the show end! I saw him in the SF Airport right after I finished watching the entire show on Netflix, which added some excitement to my long day of traveling.

• Kevin Mackey

Great to hear David Strathairn discuss his excellent acting, especially in one of my favorite movies, “Sneakers.” I’d like to thank him for recommending John Sayles’ “Men with Guns.” Please ask Mr. Strathairn about his wonderfully enigmatic role in “The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd.”

• Cynthia Crocker

Have been a fan of Mr. Strathairn since “Return of the Secaucus 7” – please tell us if there are any projects with John Sayles in the offing..?

• Mabel

Can you share anything about your experience working with the likes of Julie Taymor and Helen Mirren on that extraordinarily imagined production of The Tempest?

• Fay Nissenbaum

I shyly admit I liked the Bourne movies – except the last with that Matt Damon replacement. Does David have any stories about shooting in Europe or other countires? Anything different about being on location elsewhere?

Second silly question: Has David ever said “gee, this script is asinine. How about if my character says something different, like (insert idea here)…” ?

Fay
    The City

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor