(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

We’ll get the latest on the BART labor dispute and ongoing negotiations.

Guests:
Randy Rentschler, director of legislation and public affairs for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission
Dan Brekke, blogger and online editor for KQED News
Michael Cabanatuan, transportation writer for the San Francisco Chronicle

• Nadiyah Taylor

While I understand the headaches a strike will cause, I think in this day of diminishing worker rights, it is important to support union workers!

• erictremont

When BART union workers win, other union workers who depend on BART and have to pay higher fares to fund BART compensation packages will lose.

• Bob Fry

Yes, well how about supporting minimum/low wage workers first? BART workers are not living on the edge. BART management has offered a pretty reasonable wage increase which the union rejected.

• fma

If the mass media, KQED included, accurately & fairly covered the facts, you wouldn’t think that the BART management’s offer is reasonable. The original 2.5% raise was tied to the system meeting ridership goals– workers would not get any pay increase unless the ridership goals were met each year. BART employees are not eligible to collect Social Security benefits– their pension system is independent. The average BART worker earns ~$52-58K and the first employees cut are the maintenance crews (lowest paid) which is why trains and stations are filthy. BART administration wastes millions of dollars each year on arbitration expenses for personnel disputes because the management routinely violates the procedures agreed to in the Union’s contract. This creates an unnecessarily stressful & hostile work environment for the line staff. No, I’m not BART employee but I do have friends and siblings who work for the agency.

• Ben Rawner

I ride Bart everyday and and I see so many workers standing around in the booths while I’m paying $7+ dollars a day. At the embarcadero station the escalator going down has been broken for Over a month, and that has to be the busiest station. Just yesterday ONE guy was working in it durin rush hour and his gear was all over the place. 77k pay for nothing.

• catherine L

Wrong wrong on your guest opinion: bloggers and newspaper comments are filled with haters and spite about almost all topics, not just the BART negotiations. Commuters are upset -true- because BART is so important for a commute and we need it. But we support the workers and their right to negotiate! Union support is quite strong here, but that is generally under-reported or commented.

• Ben Rawner

Increasing BART employee pay will only increase the cost to ride BART which already costs me $160 a month and that doesn’t even include when I have to take the bus to BART because I don’t want to walk the 30 min to get there. The Bay Area needs a comprehensive transit system like other normal systems like Paris, NY, London, Boston, DC, I can go on for days. BART is miserable in its reach and is such a rip off. I say defund BART and let the cities take it over. We should pay BART employees way less and I include the management in this calculus. We the riders are suffering all the time, strike or no strike.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor