(Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images)

Before he became a TV news anchor and commentator, Chris Matthews was a top aide to former House Speaker Tip O’Neill. In his newest book, “Tip and the Gipper,” Matthews gives an inside view of O’Neill’s political and personal relationship with Ronald Reagan, and how the pair negotiated deals on welfare and military operations despite their differences. We’ll discuss the book, and what insights it offers into the current partial government shutdown.

Guests:
Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC's "Hardball with Chris Matthews;" and author of "Tip and The Gipper: When Politics Worked"

• Livegreen

Chris, Do you think its somewhat ironic that the Tea Party thinks government doesn’t work efficiently and then they make it work even less efficiently? Especially as they can debate only one issue without any end in sight…The “Fateague Party” indeed!

• thucy

More like the “McTeague” party (apologies to Frank Norris.)

• geraldfnord

Greed!

• Bill Recto

Chris Matthews is just MSNBC’s version of Bill O’Reilly. Look Chris Matthews and BIll have been talk hosts since the last shutdown. Umm! the Tea Party is really the insane party once soundbites are released.

• Bob Fry

I hope Mr. Matthews can comment on how O’Neill and Reagan together started the modern era of massive Federal deficits. Not all cooperation is useful.

• Albert

Chris who? You mean that guy who pretends the two parties aren’t beholden to the same masters?

• geraldfnord

Of two servants serving the same master, one (who smuggles some crusts and soup-bones to the beggars at the back door) can still be preferable to the other (who kicks them and steals what they have left).

Far from desirable, but no├Âne asked me in advance what kind of world to evolve.

• Albert

Two monkeys on chains are still monkeys and they bite.The rich are not pro-democracy except as a front to hide their crimes.

• geraldfnord

Between the Latin American death-squads, backing Saddam Hussein, giving the Afghan religious mujahadeen free reign, and making thinly-veiled racism and hatred of the poor respectable again, I don’t know if I could have shown the restraint and tact necessary to treat that old grass as if he were a decent human being…well, maybe _someone_ had to do it, maybe the kicking-over a default would bring could be much better exploited by the forces Reagan marshalled than those of civilisation, so it were best avoided at almost any cost.

• Bob Fry

A woman should be president, but not Hillary. God no, not Hillary! She is old, creates divisiveness, not a leader at all, and simply has not accomplished anything on her own. Her last job was consolation prize for losing.

Now Elizabeth Warren, she’d be an excellent president, better than the current on.

• Mrs. Eccentric

huh. “Yes, it was about Monica. C’mon.” “Who writes these bills? Of *course* it’s the Koch brothers.”

Color me pleasantly surprised. Always nice to hear a person who has the nu7z to state the obvious! It’s a rare trait in public life these days. Happy Day Everybody!! steph

p.s. hope Mr. Matthews and other luminaries visiting enjoy this intoxicating weather we’re having – and Do Not miss the sunsets!!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor