(Courtesy MollieKatzen.com)

Mollie Katzen may be the person most responsible for bringing vegetarian cooking to the mainstream. Her 1977 classic “The Moosewood Cookbook” sold about 4 million copies, and her later book “The Enchanted Broccoli Forest” became a cookbook standard. Now, more than 35 years later, the Berkeley resident has released a book of vegetarian recipes for a new generation called “The Heart of the Plate.” She’s cut back on the rich cream and butter that helped convince meat eaters they could make do with a vegetarian entree, in favor of lighter dishes full of fresh vegetables. Katzen joins us to share her recipes and ideas from decades of vegetarian cooking and eating.

Guests:
Mollie Katzen, author of "The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a new Generation" and "The Moosewood Cookbook"

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Have all of Ms Katzen’s books, as well as some vegan ones from young authors like Chloe Coscarelli who was on Forum May 5 2012.

Wish more people would realize that without knowing it even meat eaters enjoy more vegetarian and even vegan dishes than they may realize. Soups, desserts, salads, casseroles etc.

Am curious which areas have the most vegans or vegetarians. California is on the list, but what about places like Colorado, Boston Seattle areas and Hawaii?

• LLE68

The co-op community at Stanford so loved these cookbooks, that after the 89 earthquake – when a co-op was closed and new one had to be created – it was named Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Folks from EBF have become my friends for life and are a constant reminder of bonding over healthy, vegetarian cooking. Thank you Mollie Katzen.

• Fay Nissenbaum

Does HEAT destroy the nutrients in vegetables? I have a friend that eats raw broccoli only and criticizes me for steaming it.

• Ali

Thanks Mollie, I have been using your cookbooks for more than 20 years and love them. I would like to buy your new cookbook but from the sound of the recipe titles, there are a lot of nuts in your recipes. One of my sons is severely allergic to nuts (1 in 13 children in the US have food allergies). I would love it if you could publish a vegetarian cookbook for people with food allergies. Thank you!

• Patrice

Are you familiar with Sally Fallon and her book “Nourishing Traditions?” She recommends soaking grains to neutralize phytic acid because a diet high in unfermented whole grains may lead to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss. Can you comment on this? Thanks!

• Thomas

What are your thoughts on coconut oil? I’ve been reading that these medium-chain fatty acids are not detrimental like previously thought, and are in fact important for brain health. Would you recommend cooking with it since it doesn’t burn easily?

• Fay Nissenbaum

Can Mollie talk about peppers? Also, as a person who brings lunch to work, my go to meal is a large salad with lots of avocados, and slices of cantaloupe – the melon really wakes up what otherwise might be a bland salad.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor