(Bryan Goebel/KQED)

The Bay Area launched its long-awaited public bike share program last week, with bikes available at 70 locations in San Francisco, San Jose, Redwood City, Mountain View and Palo Alto. So far, local riders have quickly embraced the pilot program. Nearly 3,000 people bought passes to use the 700 available turquoise-colored bikes. But there have been a few glitches, such as parking shortages at some popular stations. We’ll look at how Bay Area Bike Share is faring so far, and discuss plans for expansion.

Guests:
Leah Shahum, executive director of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
Karen Schkolnick, air quality programs manager for the Bay Area Air District, which administers the bike share program

• Brad

I’m very excited that this program has finally launched. It will provide residents with a viable alternative for short trips around the city. Its success, though, will be gated by their ability to add more stations quickly, before the community develops the mindset that it is under-developed and not useful to them. I look forward to seeing its expansion and seeing San Francisco join the ranks of cities around the world who have seen the benefits of bike share networks.

• Doug

Out further in the Bay Area we really need to have small and effective public transit like eTranz USA to feed into the sprawling neighborhoods so we can actually ride our bikes to a transit station. BikeShare would be great but really need that good public transit to get us to large systems like BART

• Bob Fry

30 minutes, then there’s an overcharge? Doesn’t seem like enough time.

• WhatIsYourFavoriteColor

If you look at the use case for this system it makes sense. The idea is that you’re making trips that are 10-20 blocks, easing strain on transit. Basically it’s for those situations where you’re standing at a muni stop and you say “I could have walked there by now.” The problem is that the pilot program is fairly dangerously under-built to make it actually useful for these situations. Hopefully they expand faster than they’re currently planning to.

• Fay Nissenbaum

I was hit by a right turning driver who didnt signal his turn. Where is mayoral and police policy to enforce traffic laws that help us cyclists and pedestrians to walk and ride safely? Will SFPD ever enforce drivers using turn signals? That’s what tells us which way a car or truck will go at an intersection, yet right turn signals are rarely used and amazingly, people dont signal more dangerous left turn signals at four-way intersections and there’s zero enforcement in the City.

• Fay Nissenbaum

Looking at the prices, One is better off shlepping their own bike. before today’s program I thought this was all free to encourage getting people out of cars.
      Prices here:
      http://bayareabikeshare.com/membership

• This scheme has got me on a bike again after 15 years. It’s ideal for the second part of my commute, from the Transbay Terminal to the design district. My journey on the bike takes way less than 30 minutes (less in the future as I get more fit!) and it will have paid for itself in saved bus fares in a couple of months.
    However, I am concerned about the prevailing attitude towards cyclists as obstacles rather than fellow road users.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor