(MOSAAB EL-SHAMY/AFP/Getty Images)

Clashes between Egyptian security forces and supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi turned deadly on Wednesday, ending with several hundred dead and injured. Vice President Mohamed ElBaradei, a Nobel Prize winner, resigned in protest. Egypt declared a state of emergency, giving the military power to detain citizens and implement a 7:00p.m. nationwide curfew. Critics warn Egypt could be returning to a pre-Arab Spring government, and the White House said it would reexamine the $1.5 billion in aid it gives the country. We look at the latest violence and what this means for Egypt.

Guests:
Amy Hawthorne, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council's Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East
Shadi Hamid, director of research at the Brookings Doha Center and fellow at the Saban Center for Middle East Policy
Joel Beinin, professor of Middle East history at Stanford University, former director of Middle East Studies and professor of history at the American University in Cairo
Adel Iskandar, Arab media scholar at Georgetown University and author of "Egypt In Flux: Essays on an Unfinished Revolution"

• mdreyfus

Can someone address the likelihood that Egypt’s military received assurances from Washington before ousting Morsi? It seems reasonable to me that they would check with their biggest backer before such a move, and that the Obama administration would give those assurances since Morsi’s government was too Islamist for their comfort.

• Chris OConnell

The US should adopt a policy of non-intervention in the domestic affairs of other nations. Let’s end the pretense that we are worried about how to get to Democracy in Egypt, as the host truly believes is our aim. Granted, it is a little late, our interventionism is practically in our DNA, the tentacles are deep everywhere, but we must begin to wind down the Empire. It is already happening as we lose control even of our puppets in the face of social media and major intelligence leaks.

• Bill Tutuki

Its our defense contractors who want this intervention in the domestic affairs because its good for their bottom line. We talked about this during the Bush II Years about Halliburton won contracts for the Iraq War.

• jim

This whole discussion is so out of context. For example, you are talking about the US cutting off aid to Egypt as being somehow meaningful, when it’s clearly not: the aid we give is basically just tanks and military aircraft that Egypt doesn’t need: they already have way more than they can use, so much so that they’re leaving them crated. Second, you say the Egyptian military should have done something different in the face of the Muslim Brotherhood occupation. WHAT should they have done? Simply criticising without putting it in a context of alternate, realistic possible paths is worthless.

• jim

Btw, I agree with Chris below.

• Chris OConnell

Dave Iverson keeps wondering how we, the US, can bring democracy to Egypt. He is torn up over this question. As if that is our main goal or concern! Or even should be our main goal or concern! Dave, what about bringing Democracy to Saudi Arabia? Is that our goal with our policy towards the Saudis, too?

• jim

Last ps: the aid the US gives is not really to Egypt at all. It’s to the US manufacturers of the military equipment we send!

• Ellis

There’s been no discussion of
    the Interim Egyptian Government’s Road Map to democratic elections.
    This has to be seriously looked at.

Also, Mohamed
    el-Baradei should have know what it meant to oust the Morsi
    Muslim Brotherhood Government. The
    hardcore Morsi backers are uncompromising and we’ll see a period of
    Military crackdown on the Brotherhood.

Egypt just went though what was
    a one year experiment in democratic elections that went terribly
    wrong. The people asked that the reset button be pushed – and it
    was. Morsi was repeatedly asked to compromise with opposition parties
    by the military and he refused.

• suzanne

It is crucial that we all condemn violence, especially the violence aimed towards expression of democratic rights. However, the processes going around in Middle East require a deeper discussion that a simple binary check: The fact that a government was once elected is not enough to justify their deeds. I can not speak on behalf of Egyptians but I have to express that as a Turkish protestor that is supporting the Geziparki movement in Turkey, I am witnessing many of the discussion going around stunned. Stunned! Seriously, just because a government was elected does not mean any movement against that government is undemocratic. I am not approving military cue; however I am not sure we are having an honest and open discussion on what can be done towards a government once it has passed to the dark side?

The biggest example is from my country: Democracy has been failing in Turkey for many years now. Yes, it probably never existed in its truly form; and yes many sub-groups were facing the “not-existing” side more than the other. However, it has been going backwards in a rocket-speed for the last 10 years under Erdogan’s government, which had been getting many applause from Europe and US for being “democratic!”. Many were applauding him for his demolition of military-government and went to great extents to look the otherside not to see he was building a police-run-autocracy. His once elected government has turned into an autocracy and has been suppressing the freedom of all others except their proponents. The corruption is so deep and at every level that, it can not even make to the news. Unprecedented witch hunts has been ongoing; where people are detained for years based on “anonymous tips/witnesses”. The jurisdiction has been failing to defend people’s basic rights; where a murder of a peaceful protestor by a police rubber bullet is considered self-defense; and where high-profile (generals and left-wing political leaders) people have been sentenced to life based on conspiracy theories and unwarranted claims. One does not need to much research just check out the latest civil and peaceful movement, and how his government handled and has still been handling it (unprecendented polic brutality, murders, targeting the eyes of people while firing gas canons, his open and public threats, etc). So please tell me what is the best way to claim your basic rights in a circumstance where the public no longer believe the results of anything, since the legislation, jurisdiction and execution is no longer separated, under one person’s hand??? Let’s get real, and stop wondering about definition of what is what…

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor