(Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Mass protests, violent clashes and political chaos prevailed in Egypt this weekend following the military’s removal of President Mohamed Morsi. As Islamists regionwide decry the ouster and demonstrators on both sides gather violent momentum, we discuss what’s next for Egypt and how the U.S. and other world leaders may respond.

Guests:
Borzou Daragahi, Middle East and North Africa correspondent for the Financial Times; former Beirut bureau chief for the L.A. Times
Lina Khatib, program manager for the Program on Arab Reform and Democracy at Stanford University
Nezar AlSayyad, professor of planning and urban history and chair of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at U.C. Berkeley

• Leonard

I’m generally a humanist, but Islam is the least humanistic religion. It’s the religion of perpetual war, whose believers think anyone who gives up Islam should be murdered, and anyone who dishonors their pedophile prophet should be killed, too. It is Islam’s inhumanism in its present-day extreme form that leads me to say, I hope the Egyptian military eliminates the radical Islamic threat in Egypt.

Its was Nazis who killed 6 million Jews, but it was Muslims who killed 1.5 million Armenians (who were Christians).

• EIDALM

The nightmare of Morsi and his brotherhood is over, over 33 million Egyptians marched in the streets of Egypt to expel Morsi and his brotherhood out of office. People voted with their feet and the army acted the only way it could by removing Morsi to fulfill thhe demand of the overwhelming majority of the Egyptian people.

Through the ages Egypt have been a secular country where people enjoy their freedom of religion, and women enjoy freedom of choice how to dress and have equal rights in the society, and Morsi and his misled brotherhoods will ever be able to put an end to that, not to to mention the damage Morsi caused Egypt in the year he has been in power.

Egyptian have been always secular. The Egyptian flag till the 1950’s was made of green background and a crescent and three stars, one represented Judaism , one represented Christianity, and one of Islam, since Egypt was the birth of monotheism and contributed a lot to the the three religions

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor