(Getty Images)

Neurologist Robert Burton warns us not to get too excited about groundbreaking discoveries about the brain. In his new book, “A Skeptic’s Guide to the Mind: What Neuroscience Can and Cannot Tell Us About Ourselves,” Burton urges readers to think more critically about neuroscience research, and asks whether we can truly define the mind with any certainty.

Guests:
Robert Burton, author of "Skeptic's Guide to the Mind: What Neuroscience Can and Cannot Tell Us About Ourselves;" former chief of the Department of Neurology at UCSF; writes for 'Nautilus' the science and philosophy publication Printed:

• Roger Kat

Is there a part of the brain associated w/ “soul” or spirit”?

• Cathy

I suffer from constant nerve pain referred to vulvodynia that is inflammation originated in the brain but there is little research on it. What kind of treatments of research is being done on chronic nerve pain?

• Cooper

If we can’t identify the location of conciousness why do we limit it to humans and sometimes animals. Why not on some level, plants and raindrops?

• Lisa Jadwin

This was one of the most interesting radio interviews I’ve heard in years, and I listen to the national shows as well (Fresh Air, Diane Rehm).

Burton is fascinating – I will buy his book – and Michael Krasny does a great job of asking knowledgeable questions that help the listener understand the essence of the interviewee’s discipline.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor