(Stan Honda/Getty Images)

Painter Richard Diebenkorn created many iconic works of art during his stay in Berkeley from 1953 to 1966. A new exhibition at San Francisco’s De Young Museum highlights this period, which helped cement Diebenkorn’s reputation as key figure in postwar American art. We speak with Timothy Burgard, the Ednah Root Curator in charge of American art for the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.

Click anywhere in the picture to advance to the next one

Guests:
Timothy Burgard, the Ednah Root Curator in charge of American art for the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco

• eriksf

One of the things I think is so unique in Diebenkorn’s work is his comfort with figuration and abstraction. He achieved greatness in both areas.

I live in Berkeley and his work shapes my sense of my surroundings in many ways. Brilliant artist!

• Fay Nissenbaum

was there ONE work that marked his switch from figurative painting? What’s its name?
    Did he ever write about his treatment by the critics?

Diebenkorn’s drawings are perhaps some of his most powerful works. John elderfield’s curatorial work with the Works on Paper Show at MoMA, new york, truly exemplifies the complexity, beauty, and a true testament to Diebenkorn’s hand.

• Ron P

I had never heard of Diebenkorn before nor was I aware of haveing seen any of his work. I listened to your program and virtually everything that was said and imlied about him (including his own words in the decades old interview) made me sure that his work would be quite pesudo intellectual and nothing more than a pretentious pastiche of what the public thought avant guard painting and/or “art” should be.
    How incredibly wrong I was. The spoken word not only didn’t do him justice it was an absolute disservice to his art. My eyes and not my ears are what is needed for Diebenkorn.
    I went on line and looked up his work. The very first painting literally took my breath away! All I can say is that his work is absolutely astonishing and that doesn’t begin to convey the smallest bit of how important his paintings are.
    Thank you for introducing me to his work.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor