(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Unions representing over 2,000 BART employees voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to authorize a strike, which could begin as early as Monday, potentially affecting hundreds of thousands of daily commuters. The employees are demanding wage and cost-of-living increases. BART, meanwhile, wants workers to contribute to pensions, pay more for health insurance and reduce overtime expenses. Unions also filed a lawsuit earlier this week alleging unfair labor practices, accusing BART of refusing to bargain in good faith over worker safety.

Guests:
Tom Radulovich, president of the BART Board of Directors
Antonette Bryant, president of the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) 1555

• wildthing

This is going to be quite interesting because their is no management representation. It’s the management that is flaky at BART. They are responsible for the mis-management of its workforce. As a result, they want to take draconian measures to remedy their mis-management OT, not caring about the safety of its workers. Proof is in the number of OSHA complaints. As far as monetary issues, BART increased the size of their train order from 725 to 1000. BART has enough funds to adequately bring their employees to a wage level that is on par with the cost of living for the last 4 years (in which BART workers did not receive any wage increase) going into the future. Meanwhile, managers line their pockets saying “Suckers”. after each negotiation!

• Brad

BART should focus on capital improvements; the entire system is aging and in desperate need of modernization to remain competitive and efficient.

• Jason Chan

I encourage readers to look here to see what individuals at BART are receiving for annual salaries:
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/bart-salaries

I would like know how many members of staff are actually leaving because of pay. I think that a large portion of individuals in the bay area that are qualified for these jobs, that make significantly less than BART employees.

• scott_lewis

I was an I.T. manager, not at BART, but in the public sector and I can tell you I lost A LOT of good employees over salaries. IFrom looking at the web site you listed, it seems there are a lot of senior I.T. people making about $95K.

I’m in the private sector now and my current senior people make about $125K, about 30K more. Not sure if the benefits make up for that or not. We get health insurance, but pay $250 per month for first person, and $100 per month for each additional; 3 weeks vacation; and 10 holidays. We do 401K matching up to $10K.

• trite

Check out the Contra Costa Times site on BART salaries. Over three-thousand employee salaries are shown. http://www.contracostatimes.com/bart-salaries?appSession=35055484145215&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=&cpipage=1&CPISortType=&CPIorderBy=

• bignurse

Public sector unions hold a monopoly on providing certain public services such as mass transportation. This allows them to hold the public hostage in order to extract unreasonable wages and benefits that they otherwise would not be able to get in the private sector. This is a bald example of exploiting government for private enrichment and shows why public sector unions should be abolished.

• disqus_OZSJCCExPa

What’s bald is the public inability to hold BART’s Board of Directors or it’s management accountable for the waste and mismanagement of funds that occurs on a yearly basis. They then expect workers to pay for this mismanagement.
    Know who you elect to office. How can someone be on a board for 22 years and not plan for major capitol expenses such as new trains? They knew 20 years ago that the trains weren’t going to last forever. The bodies of the cars are 40 years old but check the records. Bart has poured millions into the rehab of those cars and now they are pour millions more to install the new seats.
    VTA has agreed to purchase 60 cars that’s a savings not shown in their budget.

• John

What planet do these workers live on? Have they no shame?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor