(Fareed Rahman/Richmond Confidential)

Early this month, the trial began for two men charged with raping a teenage girl in Richmond. The 2009 gang rape left the girl beaten and unconscious after a homecoming dance, where a crowd of men reportedly participated or watched the rape, and none called the police. Two other men accepted plea deals for time in prison. We get an update on the trial.

Guests:
Malaika Fraley, reporter covering courts and justice for The Contra Costa Times
Dara Cashman, former deputy district attorney for Contra Costa County; she headed the sexual assault unit and prosecuted the case's preliminary hearing before retiring

• Narnio

The parents of the rapists should be fined for the mistake of procreating them, and should pay a part of the costs of jailing them.

• thucy

I wonder if Dara Cashman ever, in her role as a prosecutor, investigated pressing charges against US prisons, where rape of male inmates is an hourly occurrence.
    Not only does the US lead the world in per capita prison population (thanks to the “War on Drugs”, we have more prisoners than China or Russia, too many of them innocent, and far too many of them non-violent drug offenders) but we lead the world in male-on-male prison rape.
    How can we discuss Steubenville and similar gang rapes ad nauseum, when the far greater proportion of rape occurs under the aegis of our corrupt justice system? The media won’t touch the real story.

• thucy

If you’re going with “one-strike”, then you better trust that your prosecutor and your police are honest.
    Ken Burns’ daughter, Sarah Burns, spent several years investigating the gross mis-steps (that’s putting it kindly) by police and prosecutors in the Central Park Jogger Case.
    Five black teens whose DNA never matched the crime scene were sent to prison for over a decade before they were exonerated.
    No matter how horrific the crime, justice is not served when police and prosecutirs put innocent people in prison just because they want to make their departments and offices look good.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/centralparkfive/

• thucy

Forum Producers:
    That had to be one of the most superficial segments I have yet heard on KQED. Not surprisingly, the host was Dave Iverson, who asked no questions that challenged either the (now-retired) prosecutor or the reporter. Was it worse than Iverson’s groveling interview of Google exec last spring? Hard to say, but Forum can and has done better.

• Narnio

KQED Forum should do what Infowars did, and have a try-outs for interviewer wannabe’s. If they stick to career journalists they will never get hard questions.

• paul

Good topic, But… the host did not do a very good job. More time should have been spent on: where these a-holes came from, i.e. their backgrounds, what were they doing hanging around a high school (is this normal???), how people could have just stood around and watched (their names should be published too),…etc.

I hope they save all the DNA from this case. I know some of these turds aren’t in the system yet. Once they get picked up for something else, we’ll get them for this too.

• MostDissapointedPublicRadio

How in the world is a scandalous rape case NPR or KQED material? How is that vulgarity passed as public service? What supporter of Public Radio would like their day ruined by the details of the scandal of vulgar animals? Has public radio sunken to the level of Jerry Springer? Is there any media left in America able to rise above vulgarity? Public Radio = scandal media? The better portion of your ancestors cannot possibly recognize you.

• papester

As a mother of a teen and a middle school teacher, I’m so glad to hear this interview. I will make sure my daughter hears listens and I think it’s important for teens of both genders to hear the details of the story. Girls need to be aware of the dangers of drinking and drugs and those who would take advantage of girls in an intoxicated state. Boys need to be aware of the dangers of mob mentality. Everyone needs to be reminded of the well-document psychological phenomenon that occurs when no one takes action in situations like these, but instead stand by and do nothing. It is vulgar and scandalous but it provides an opportunity to teach teens some valuable lessons.

• Tony Rocco

The fact that an horrific rape was perpetrated against an innocent and vulnerable youth is hardly “scandal media” material worthy of Jerry Springer. Sorry to spoil your day or offend your delicate sensibilities, but this is an issue of serious concern to anyone with adolescents in the Bay Area’s public schools. Not everyone wants to stick their head in the ground the way you seem to. If you want to be isolated from the unsavory aspects of the world you live in, perhaps public media is not for you.

Tony

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor