(Wikimedia Commons)

War isn’t what it used to be — at least according to the conventional wisdom that modern warfare is now irregular and asymmetric, making traditional forces largely obsolete. But military historian Max Boot argues that guerrilla warfare and insurgency are hardly recent developments. Those tactics were actually common for most human history. In his new book, “Invisible Armies,” Boot traces the history of irregular warfare.

Guests:
Max Boot, senior fellow for national security studies at the Council on Foreign Relations, and author of "Invisible Armies: An Epic History of Guerrilla Warfare from Ancient Times to the Present"

• johnqeniac

oh…my…dear…dear…god… here is this guy who was this totally, totally arrogant, oblivious, reckless neocon in 2002-3 – totally advocating an invasion of iraq – never once talked back then about the difficulty of post invasion occupation against insurgency, never once cautioned about all the disastrous occupations of history – including those of iraq and iran… Now he sits there on his fat backside talking about the ubiquity of insurgencies and how we ignore that at our peril, without a hint of embarrassment or contrition. And Krasny just sits there wide-eyed and nodding in rapt admiration… sweet, sweet Jesus help me, help me please…

• johnqeniac

It’s a sad fact of this society that the war mongers always fail upward. Help me Lord. Please.

• johnqeniac

The guy is coughing like a lunger. Is he dying right there on the show? I’m concerned.

• johnqeniac

Boot never gave a thought, back in 2002-2, to asking the Iraqi people, before we preemptively attack and invade their country, if they wanted to have several hundred thousand children, women, and men of their number randomly blown into gooey gobs of blood, bone and flesh and god knows how many more horribly maimed, and their country turned into the completely violent chaos, constantly threatening to boil over into full blown civil war, as it is right up to this moment, in exchange for a ‘democracy’ consisting of an inevitably Shia-dominated regime that is increasingly accused of using brutality reminiscent of the Hussein regime to maintain control. Now he and Krasny muse in comfort and luxury on the ‘fascinating’ history of insurgency. Ain’t history wonderful?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor