(Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)

San Francisco Giants relief pitcher Jeremy Affeldt is being called the most honest athlete in America, after he was overpaid half a million dollars and handed it back. He joins us in the studio to talk about his new book, “To Stir a Movement,” his Christian faith, and his work against child slavery and child poverty.

Interview Highlights

Guests:
Jeremy Affeldt, pitcher for the San Francisco Giants, and author of "To Stir a Movement: Life, Justice and Major League Baseball"

• thucy

This guy is so open about his experiences and feelings, esp. about control issues. Really refreshing. Another reason to like the varied crew that comprises the Giants.

• Chris OConnell

Congrats on the book and I appreciate the decency and honesty here. But being a non-religious person myself, it sounds like he is crediting his Christian faith for making him change some of his negative traits that came from his Christian faith!!

His commendable personal growth sounds distinctly human and does not come from on high. Realizing he can’t control his wife and kids even if earlier he thought he could, or thought he wanted to. Coming to terms with homosexuality by realizing it was more of HIS internal problem, than someone who happened to be gay. This is the struggle of human morality.

Biblical morality demands control of the wife and children and execution of homosexuals. So the book has to be thrown out for modern morality to be attained.

At any rate, enjoying the show and admiring the guest.

• Nettie Atkisson

Yeah, I loved his willingness to be honest as we all struggle with something but many won’t be honest. Makes us all try and live up to unrealistic expectations when people put on airs.

• It’s so wonderful that he’s helping to fight slavery in the world. We met him at the Global Forum last year. Ending child slavery one bottle of lemonade at a time is what we’re all about. http://www.makeastand.com

• jamie

This was awesome, thank you thank you for bringing Jeremy on.

• Chris OConnell

God created baseball!!! Now I am really enjoying this.

I find it interesting that brilliant scholars like Sam Harris or Richard
    Dawkins are often dismissed as having no right to comment on religion, as they are not experts. But meanwhile, any true believer can pontificate on God and religion and those same people that object to Dawkins’ bona fides will never object to, for example, Affeldt’s.

• I am not a sports person at all and most of the time when a sport figure is on I tune out but I am so glad that I was in the bath tub so i could not tune out. I really enjoyed Mr. Affeldt’s message! These are the stories we need to hear more often, Thank you for reminding me to be more humble! I will be recommending this book to my friend as a Fathers day gift for their husbands.

• I enjoyed hearing Jeremy discuss his faith and his healthy understanding of the gifts he has been given, and how that spurs him to seek justice and love mercy. I am a openly gay pastor in San Francisco who questions his us/them understanding of “the gay community” on one side and “Christians” on the other (as if either LGBT or Christianity are monolithic things). There are many gay Christians and many progressive Christians who fall well outside of the mainstream media and evangelical understanding of who goes to church. We just don’t get the same level of media coverage, even when we are calling for justice, mercy and compassion.

I also suggest that the lack of trust of Christianity by many LGBT people is well earned. To suggest that “there is equal fault on both sides” is ahistorical to say the least.

That being said, I thank Jeremy for proclaiming his love of Christ and commitment to justice and love in the world. Blessings and good luck on the book, Jeremy.

• This is a fantastic interview… Great to see someone of this level of influence taking on the important issues.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor