(Courtesy louisearonson.com)

UCSF physician and author Louise Aronson joins us in the studio to talk about her new story collection, “A History of the Present Illness.” Set in San Francisco, the stories draw on her experience working with the sick and elderly in the city’s hospitals and nursing homes.

Guests:
Dr, Louise Aronson, associate professor of medicine at UCSF, and director of UCSF's Northern California Geriatrics Education Center and the UCSF Pathways to Discovery Program

• Chris OConnell

Never mind. (Topic changed from faux IRS scandal.)

• thucy

you know how tom wolfe had that whole bitter crit of Roth et alia for not writing about the larger world, a la Balzac, Zola, Hugo? This woman is doing it. Looking forward to reading the book.

• naprom2@aol.com

I’m happy that Dr. Aronson is writing about health care and medicine. While Dr. Aronson asserted that doctors have empathy for their patients, I must take exception with that assertion. I worked in health care for over 30 years (not as either a doctor or a nurse) and I found that doctors are like everyone else, some have empathy, compassion, and are selfless, while others are not so caring.

• Sharon

following from a caller comment about anecdotal evidence, I wonder if Dr. aronson can tell us a story that gives the happy ending, you get when somebody who didn’t have a mammogram doesn’t end up having a false diagnosis or any problems from having the mammogram. I think it’s really hard to tell good stories about prevention

• Alice

Kudos for your empathic medical practice and engaging real life stories for our contemplation and personal growth. I enjoyed your presentation on Forum, not the least was your dedication to translating medical jargon into tangible reality. You receive a 5** rating from this Bay Area physician. Hopefully our paths will cross in the future.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor