(Menahem Kahana/Getty Images)

Syria responded angrily to attacks believed to be from Israeli warplanes on Sunday, and accused Israel of coordinating with Syrian rebel groups. Its neighbor Iran also warned that it would respond to the aggression. We get the latest updates on what the airstrikes mean for the region.

Guests:
Deborah Amos, Middle East correspondent for NPR
Aaron David Miller, distinguished scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

• Cassidy

Let us never forget that Israel committed an act of war against the USA and murdered US military personnel when its warplanes and torpedo boats attacked the U.S.S. Liberty on June 8th, 1967. This ship’s American flag was clearly visible during the attack that lasted hours. The only reason the Israelis did not sink the Liberty was that they were spotted in the act by a Russian ship.

• erictremont

Your claim has been totally debunked by reputable historians. Go to this link for the truth:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/liberty1.html

• Chris OConnell

Haha. Claim has been debunked as if he is talking about the loaves of bread and the fishes instead of an incident in 1967 where Israel attacked and bombed a US intelligence ship and killed 34 people.

• thucy

If the attack had been anything but “friendly fire”, i.e. a mistake, what on earth would have been the motivation? Israel needed all the allies it could get in ’67 – and there was no more powerful ally than the U.S.

• Chris OConnell

It is a good question. But it happened on a clear day and the idea of a mistake is not feasible. Here is a page that addresses this question, beginning with this sentiment: “The motive is irrelevant. If motive were a factor, then Charles Manson should be released for lack of plausible motive.”
        http://www.ussliberty.org/why.htm

• Cassidy

It was a false flag operation ordered by LBJ, the purpose of which was to build public support for US troops on the ground in Egypt during the 6-day war.

• Peter

In an op-ed [*] in the New York Times last year, your guest Aaron David Miller threw away diplomatic niceties and told it like it is about Israel: “The country’s demographics look bad — too many ultra-Orthodox Jews, Palestinians and Israeli Arabs and not enough secular Jews.” Could the distinguished scholar share his similarly candid assessment of how good or bad Syria’s demographics look, with reference to particular groups that are either too numerous or not numerous enough?

[*] http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/opinion/preserving-israels-uncertain-status-quo.html

• thucy

Thanks for the link. But does the article’s point seem to counter to the quote you pulled from it? The article is an assessment of Israel as essentially nimble enough to overcome such challenges. That actually might be in line with Miller’s “The Much Too Promised Land” which advocates “tougher love” for Israel from the US, ostensibly they can handle “tough love” and it’s in their best longterm interest.

• Chris OConnell

One need not be a seer to know that this unprovoked Israeli act of war and bombing that killed dozens of people would find no opprobrium. In fact, the act is not even mildly questioned and the only concern among the host is that Israel not be subject to retaliation.

Israel continues to cement itself as an international pariah for another generation. I wish we could lose them. They are not an ally of the United States.

• Chris OConnell

Of course, I am not a mind reader. But there have been past shows that betray the host’s positive connection to Israel. The first question to Deb Amos and the first question to David Aaron Miller was: “Will there be retaliation against Israel.” My interpretation of this question was that the host was primarily concerned about Israel and its well-being. I realize now that this question is could be viewed more broadly in terms of how the war could expand even further. But it was not framed that way, and given history, it seemed to me to be framed in a way of concern for Israel. Coupled with a lack of condemnation or even mild criticism (imagine China bombing the US for supplying weapons to Taiwan) and I feel comfortable in my mind-reading assertion.

• Chris OConnell

Obama will “be forced into some kind of action” says Aaron David Miller. By who or by what? The American people don’t want it. Congress has not declared war. So who is going to force the President who seems reluctant? The military industrial complex? The pro-Israeli lobby? I am hoping we don’t get any more involved.

• Chris OConnell

I have an idea! Instead of sending anything to Syria by way of military equipment etc., why don’t we have more School Lunch programs!! Maybe some worker re-training and jobs programs!!!

We have no money for our own people but there seems to be no shortage for wars abroad.

• menloman

Obama is correct, ‘What does this have to do with us?’ Let others fight their own battles.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor