(Jewel Samad/Getty Images)

Starting Thursday, President Obama will meet with Mexico’s leader, Enrique Pena Nieto. Immigration, economic issues and drug cartels are reportedly at the top of the agenda. We discuss U.S.-Mexico relations, and what concerns local Mexicans in the Bay Area have.

Guests:
Maria Antonieta Mejia, managing editor of El Mensajero, a weekly Spanish language paper in San Francisco
Marcela Davison-Aviles, president of the Mexican Heritage Corporation
Shannon K. O'Neil, Douglas Dillon fellow for Latin America Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations
David R. Ayon, boardmember of the U.S.-Mexico Foundation (USMF) and co-chair of its Mexican American Leadership Initiative

• Wayne

I hope Obama will apologize for Eric Holder’s massively criminal Fast and Furious operation, and that Obama will have the respect and humility to kneel down and beg Nieto not to go to the International Criminal Court to have Holder extradited for prosecution as he deserves to be. It is alarming that all the talk of Hope and Change so easily tricked voters and that Obama’s election actually led to our having a stealth Oreo Republican in the White House.

• thucy

“to kneel down and beg Nieto”
      Wayne, I’m a pretty persistent critic of Obama, but I think you might be demonstrating too big a jones for seeing the first black President “kneel down and beg.” That’s a bit of a semantical red flag that your concern is motivated by something other than justice. Whether it’s your homoeroticism or racism, or both, I don’t want to know. And by the way, your use of the term “Oreo” says more about your narrow world view than about Obama.

• Fred

thucy, Wayne clearly wants justice for the thousands of people who were killed in Mexico because of Obama. Your use of a bizarre Ad Hominem attack is the real red flag here.

• thucy

I think you’re mistaken; the ad hominem attack was made by Wayne, when he described someone as an “oreo”.
          I merely pointed out the obvious homoerotic subtext behind his stated desire to see a virile black man “kneel down and beg”.

• Fred

@thucy, by process of elimination I’d say it’s likely you’re a black racist who desires black men, as you’re imaging racism and desire for black men that wouldn’t occur to most people based on the original message from Wayne.

• Hans

I wonder if KQED will do another show about the Boston tragedy, now that it’s been revealed that Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s uncle Ruslan was married to the daughter of a top CIA official. A family of double-agents indeed…

http://www.infowars.com/all-in-the-family-uncle-ruslan-married-to-daughter-of-top-cia-official/

• Kurt thialfad

Tell him to stop his people invading the US.

• Bob Fry

We stole half of Mexico, so they’re just taking it back.

• Slappy

Crack open a history text, then say that again.

• Kurt thialfad

The American Southwest has been US territory for 165 years, and Mexican territory for only 25 years. So get over it.

• Fred

California was Mexican for 30 years, and Native American for 15,000 years. When I hear Mexicans complaining about losing California all I hear is cruel dishonesty and greed. Californian tribes controlled the area for 500 times more years than Mexico did. And those tribes were not Aztecs or Mayans.

• thucy

nor were they named Fred

• Fred

@thucy: So you’re saying that a non-Native American isn’t allowed to recognize that Native Americans were wronged? That’s the kind of thing a racist would assert.

• Slappy

The problem is not that they are “invading” the U.S., but rather their economy is a shambles compared to what we have (although that seems to be changing), and that we don’t properly safeguard our border.

• Kurt thialfad

so for the two reasons you noted, they are “invading” the U.S.

• Slappy

I guess you could count it as an invasion. I just prefer to use the term under a more sinister context…

• thucy

Per Paul Volcker, a lot of that shambles is thanks to the collateral damage of our drug war.

• Bob Fry

As Mexico very gradually shifts to a form of meritocracy and democracy, the US is shifting away from that to 3rd-world values: more money and power to fewer and fewer, wealth to the connected, not the competent.

• Michael

What are the best sources of information about Mexico in English, not just about the predominant issues of the drug war, immigration, and economic development, but also about internal matters at the national, state, and local levels?

• john carrillo

John Ross of Counterpunch was excellent at understanding the inner workings of Mexico having lived in Mexico City for many years. Unfortunately he died in 2011 but his articles are still relevant and can be found in the Counterpunch archives.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor