(David Marks/KQED)

This week’s surprisingly hot weather has a lot of people in the Bay Area daydreaming at their desks about redwood hikes, remote campsites and lakeside lounging. We gather a panel of experts on the best camping and weekend getaways in or near the Bay Area. Where is your favorite weekend getaway destination?

Map of Guest and Listener Suggestions

Suggestions from listeners are marked in red; suggestions from guests in blue.

View Suggestions from Forum's show about weekend getaways in a larger map

Map compiled  by Kelsey Dayton

Guests:
Brad Day, publisher of Weekend Sherpa, a weekly e-mail about accessible outdoor adventures in the Bay Area
Peter Fish, editor-at-large for Sunset Magazine
Rachel Levin, freelance travel writer who has written for the New York Times, Slate, San Francisco Magazine, Food and Wine and Outside

• Emily Hopkins

Hello Michael, both of your panelists know about East Bay Regional Parks, where you can be out in redwoods and wilderness just minutes from a downtown area. We would love to talk with you!
    Thanks,
    Emily, 510-544-2217

• Mark Walsh

I recently restored a 1965 van. I’d like to find a place where I can enjoy camping in my van but also have beautiful day hikes, with my dog.

• Cathy

I have physical limitations. I’m unable to hike or be outdoors too much. What about more city places and events?

• James Ivey

East Bay Regional Parks are dog friendly, off-leash even. Redwood Regional Park has beautiful fern-lined trails under an amazingly tall redwood canopy. Most of the trails are shaded, so it’s great even in the hottest weather.

• Listeners can get inspired, download trail maps and check out fun, supported outings and stewardship opportunities on the Bay Area Ridge Trail at RidgeTrail.org. Over 340 miles now open to explore!

• Thanks for the show! Can your guests comment on good places in the Bay Area for large group camping?

• Peter G Werner

To the lady from Santa Rosa who called about redwood parks within a few hours – Montgomery Redwoods in the hills west of Ukiah is an outstanding old growth forest. On the outer end, maybe 3 hours north of Santa Rosa, Humboldt Redwoods has some of the most amazing redwood groves in all of California.

• Beth Grant DeRoos

The Mother Lode areas have great gold mine tours.
    Come here to eastern Calaveras County and into Tuolumne county where rattlesnakes are plentiful this spring. East of Angles Camp on Jack Ass Hill is Mark Twains cabin where he lived when he wrote about the jumping frogs of Calaveras county

• andimichel@sbcglobal.net

For accesability, try Armstrong Woods, they have a special trail that is very easy, also braille signage.

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Come here to eastern Calaveras County and into Tuolumne county where rattlesnakes are plentiful this spring. East of Angles Camp on Jack Ass Hill is Mark Twains cabin where he lived when he wrote about the jumping frogs of Calaveras county.

• Dan Bohn

Don’t forget the bay! We have an amazing water playground available everyday!

http://Www.captdan.net

• Linda Leeb

Bair Island just reopened this month after years of restoration work. It’s the largest natural preserve in SF Bay, and is accessible from 101 in Redwood City.

• I tuned in just as one of the guests was talking about a stretch of coast in SoCal that looks untouched from the 50’s. he did not repeat where he was talking about – would love to know and especially about the cottages he mentioned that are rentable. Thanks!

• Mercedes C

Lake Temescal in Oakland is gorgeous! Paved trails for those who can’t walk far, and tons of space for kids and dogs to roam. Beautiful birds! Even a beach! A must go.

• Jeff

Anyone heading to Mendocino county, especially anyone with young kids, should schedule an hour or two in Hopland at the Solar Living Center run by RealGoods, one of America’s earliest solar outfitters. There is a store filled with eco-friendly goods, and the grounds are filled with fun facilities that help illustrate the power of the sun.

• sccparks95032

If you live in the South Bay, be sure to visit a Santa Clara County Park. With over 250 miles of trails, there’s plenty to do for bikers, hikers, horses and dogs on leash! Just visit parkhere.org for more information about these beautiful regional parks. Yurts too!

• Jacque

San Bruno Mountain is right in SF’s back yard – great trails off the quarry road in Brisbane, or from the state park all the way to the top of the mountain. Currently all the native plants are in bloom. You can’t camp but it’s a great morning hike.

• Ted Smith

Sacramento has an excellent park accessible by public transit, with fishing available. It is the American River Parkway. See http://www.fishwithjd.com/fishing-reports/nor-cal-rivers/american-river/ and http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/parks/

• Rhea Borja

Lake Tahoe is great in the summer — lots of hiking, biking, swimming, etc. And instead of a hotel, stay at a vacation-rental property so you have access to a kitchen and yard. I recommend http://www.tahoebliss.com on the west shore — great wraparound deck, and you can walk to the lake.

• Maria

Two South Bay suggestions : Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park has tent and RV camping. Henry Coe State Park has tent, RV and backcountry camping. Sly Park at Jenkinson Lake near Pollock Pines has group camps and lots of tent and RV sites. Also great water play and boating. A little further afield, Highway 88 over Carson Pass and Monitor Pass from Jackson to Mono Lake is a wonderful trip. Many developed and primitive campgrounds. Silver Lake, Caples Lake, Woods Lake and more. Grover Hot Springs State Park is wonderful. The hot pools are open year round.

• Consuelo Moreno

San Pedro Park in the (much to everyone’s surpirse) warm and sunny part of Pacifica has several trails ranging between 2 and 6 miles and various levels of difficulty. My husband often runs from the park over the mountain to Montara if you’re a trail runner this is a good one!
    Also, thanks for the great program!

• Willie Wool

What was the flat trail Rachel took her stroller on? It sounded like Prong Roto Kinto?

• emily

Next time, can you post a transcript of shows like this? This has a lot of information and I’m literally hovering over the computer trying to copy down each area. Thanks.

• Thank you for the shout out about West Marin Food & Farm Tours! These tours are a great way to get an insider’s look into artisan food production in the Point Reyes area – here’s the website for more information: foodandfarmtours.com

• mathew carson

Where in Ukiah on the cabins that Rachel spoke about? What lake?

• BuzzinHeart

I made notes, and I’m going to Listen again for more notes. TY 🙂 Mary and I are Seniors, in The East Bay. We can Drive some, and would like to be invited, to sit anywhere pretty. We make Great Small Talk. God Bless.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor