(Abe K/Flickr)

The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco are facing serious management and morale problems, according to recent news reports. The institutions — which include the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park and the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park — have been without a director since John Buchanan died over a year ago. Several longtime staff members have been fired. Some critics have blamed Board President Diane B. Wilsey for the museums’ troubles and have accused her of nepotism and other misuses of power.

Guests:
Robert Flynn Johnson, curator emeritus of Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
Patricia Cohen, reporter, The New York Times

• Tiberius

With great power comes great responsibility. Not all who rise to the top can rise to the challenge.

• gracedavis

And, let us not forget one James Edward Taylor who worked at the Legion of Honor and disgraced the Fine Arts Museums community and ruined the lives of two little girls. http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_21122493/san-francisco-engineer-sentenced-15-years-life-child

• RroseSelavy

Is that Dede’s fault too?

• stevie jobbs

the person who cuts the checks for the Fine Arts Museum is named Daquiri Weed, how could there be low morale with your check is signed by Daquiri Weed??????

• maria

This all started with the tragic death of its director, then a new time keeping system consisting of a finger scanning system like they use at 48 hours fitness and elsewhere. The NYTimes piece was the 1st coverage of this issue that I’ve read which was balanced and respectful. There are a lot of people who have worked there for a long time, are well paid, enjoy very relaxed working conditions and believe that they are almost defacto [parts of the collection. They’re not. They are staff, and they have bitten the hand that feeds them repeatedly. When you do that in the culture of the fine arts, which is in large part supported by powerful wealthy people, you risk losing.

• Darshana Nadkarni

OMCA Oakland Museum of CA holds fun fridays with #OfTheGrid and that just might be the answer to run a museum to hold fun public events on premises – http://bit.ly/15SPpci

• lombadesign

I just got off the phone with my 78 year old mother who went to the deYoung yesterday from Santa Rosa with her long time best friend. She has heart disease and despite owning a handicapped placard they were forced to park 5 blocks away, and said that pretty much their entire day consisted of looking for parking unsuccessfully, waiting in line for bathrooms, and then waiting in more lines for crappy food. Needless to say, she will now never attend something like this again. Please know this is the experience of two San Francisco natives. Is this what they should go through to see great art?

• Monkey_pants

I’m sorry she had such a bad time. All of the times I’ve gone, we easily found parking close to the museum, there were no lines, and the food at the cafeteria was really delicious. Maybe she should try again on a different day?

• RroseSelavy

This week is Bouquets to Art, one of te busiest events at the museum all year–not exactly a typical experience.

• dornbiker

The taxpayers of SF would have happily paid to rebuild the quake-damaged de Young. But Dede Wilsey’s insistence on a parking garage led to the defeat of two bond measures, requiring the FAMSF to privately fund the reconstruction. Making a “virtue” of necessity, Wilsey was thus enabled to pursue her real agenda, namely the privatization of the public assets of the museum and the park..

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor