(Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

America’s Cup organizers are falling short in their efforts to raise private donations to help pay for the cost of bringing the America’s Cup sailing competition to San Francisco — and that could leave the city on the hook for about $20 million. The Board of Supervisors holds hearings Wednesday to discuss the shortfall. Supporters say even without all of the promised private funds, the city still benefits financially from hosting the America’s Cup.

Guests:
John Avalos, San Francisco supervisor representing District 11
Jane Sullivan, city spokesperson for the America's Cup

• thucy

“Supporters say even without all of the promised private funds, the city still benefits financially from hosting the America’s Cup.”

Supporters also say that big orange bridge next to Fort Point is for sale – ya buying, kid? Since when do cities actually net revenue from sports events?

I’m torn between the cheap thrill of I-told-you-so schadenfreude, and the morose feeling that comes from realizing San Francisco is too hopped up on Welbutrin (registered trademark symbol) to be angry it got reamed by another billionaire.

Why not raise the $20 million shortfall by… never mind, too Madame Defarge.

• Bob Fry

So even SF is doing corporate welfare? Larry Ellison is among the top ten richest in the world I’m sure, but he can’t be bothered making up the shortfall…he’s too busy creating jobs or something.

• thucy

Yesterday, KQED reported “San Francisco Has Second Least Affordable Rental Market in US.” We’re exactly one notch below Honolulu, and seven cities above (above!) New York, where there is still (even amid the bubble) a defiant working class.

So please ask your guests to explain how this city’s Supervisors got it on the hook to the tune of $20 million to Larry Ellison, the ugliest billionaire on earth.

I’m wondering why Board of Supes President David Chiu should not be put in a box and shipped back – STAT!- to Harvard Yard. He’s small, so USPS book rate shouldn’t cost the taxpayer too dearly.

• thucy

“We are confident that we’re going to close that nut.”
    -Jane Sullivan
    Was that even English?

• sfgrl78

There are people who actually LIVE in San Francisco, this is OUR tax money, we should have been able to vote on it going to a city funded sports event. What programs are losing funding to be sure this event is funded?

• Chris OConnell

I like watching birds, so I have to respect that some people might want to watch yachts.

• thucy

But… We aren’t $20 million on the hook for you to spot plovers and oystercatchers.

• Chris OConnell

Good point. Taxpayers should not be nicked for this obscure event for b/millionaires. $20 million. How is that money spent? What a scam.

• Sven

I think that some are missing the point of this opportunity,
    especially with the home team sailing so well.
    I hope that San Francisco doesn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. A town like Newport Rhode Island would be
    more than willing to roll out the red carpet for an event like this.

• thucy

Newport? Great idea! With apologies to Henny Youngman: Take my Americas Cup – please!

Saddle the America’s Cup is an empty shell of what it used to be…The boats aren’t even sailboats anymore. They’ve taken an airplane wing and mounted it on a Hobie Cat…

For years I dreamed of The Cup coming to The Bay and now I don’t even care…It’s become no more than a Red Bull spectacle…

• John

Sadly the America’s Cup is an empty shell of what it used to be…The boats aren’t even sailboats anymore. They’ve taken an airplane wing and mounted it on a Hobie Cat…

For years I dreamed of The Cup coming to The Bay and now I don’t even care…It’s become no more than a Red Bull spectacle…

• John

btw…the “home team” only has one american…the rest are kiwis…
    What’s the point of having the boats represent a country if none of the crew is of that nationality?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor