(Courtesy "A Fierce Green Fire")

The new documentary “A Fierce Green Fire” traces the history of the modern environmental movement, chronicling dramatic battles like the Sierra Club’s fight against dams in the Grand Canyon, Greenpeace’s campaign to save whales and recent efforts to combat climate change. San Francisco-based director Mark Kitchell, who also made the Academy Award-nominated “Berkeley in the Sixties,” joins us in the studio. Who are your environmental heroes?

Guests:
Mark Kitchell, director, writer and producer of "A Fierce Green Fire: The Battle for a Living Planet"

• tess

i don’t have any one environmental hero: there are too many to count…as an actual child of the sixties (and, yes, in Berkeley), i remember many fights, some successful; some not.

the more important point, i think, is that there are so very few of those left in the “movement” — some people left for political reasons and some left for financial ones (remember the 70’s? the “ME” decade? when so many ex-activists turned in their passion for a paycheck in “marketing” and “branding”), but nothing resembling the environmental movement of yesterday exists today…

i hope your film helps.

• it has to help. the more people are educated and made conscious of our current challenges, the more they will be moved to action…you are right though: people are busy, people are seduced by short-term gains…but ultimately, we are all connected and it is a cause most would be happy to get behind once they see….(at least i believe this).

• Kay

Let’s support efforts to get this important film widely viewed at the same intensity An Inconvenient Truth. Mark Kitchell and crew did some heavy lifting to compile these stories into a single film. Will this help humanity reach the tipping point for understanding our impact on earth? TBD.

We have a tremendous number of environmental heroes in the SF Bay Area. Their work has been and continues to be an inspiration to this nation. Let’s also find other ways to tell these stories — a new location at the Presidio might be an excellent option.

• Neko

People see a film or they read an article and then they forget about it. Maybe this film will have a larger effect. I hope so, because Gaslands for instance has not resonated as much as it should have. People want to be in denial, the bigger the risk. People have no fight in them.

But what’s needed really is infiltration of the media that people see daily with messages about environmental risks that threaten them personally.
    Like fracking. Let’s see a billboard on the 101 enumerating the risks from fracking.
    Or let’s see a banner across Market St in SF identifying the health risks of diesel fumes.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor