Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

Civil Rights Leaders Remember the March on Washington

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

(AFP/Getty Images)

In August 1963, Martin Luther King, Jr. stood before thousands of people in front of the Lincoln Memorial and delivered those historic words, “I Have a Dream.” Almost 50 years later, that iconic speech still resonates. We remember the March on Washington and talk to those who worked alongside Dr. King — including one who helped pen that famous “I Have a Dream” speech — about Dr. King’s legacy and where the civil rights movement stands today.

Guests:

Clayborne Carson, director of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Research and Education Institute at Stanford University and author of the memoir "Martin's Dream: My Journey and the Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr."

Dorothy Cotton, civil rights leader, former education director of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and author of "If Your Back's Not Bent: The Role of the Citizenship Education Program in the Civil Rights Movement"; she accompanied Dr. King when he received the Nobel Peace Prize, and also stayed in the motel room next door the day Dr. King was assassinated

Clarence B. Jones, visiting professor at the University of San Francisco, scholar writer in residence at Stanford University's Martin Luther King Jr. Research and Education Institute, author of "What Would Martin Say?" and former lawyer, political adviser and draft speechwriter for Dr. King; he drafted the opening several paragraphs spoken by Dr. King in his "I Have A Dream" speech

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
are u addicted to ur phoneJosé Vadi’s “Chipped” Looks at Life from a Skateboarder’s Lens‘The Notorious PhD’ on How Hip Hop Made AmericaSan Francisco Voters Face a Crowded and Contentious Mayor’s RaceWho Is Responsible For One of the Largest Internet Hacks Ever?So You Want to Be a DJ?RFK’s a Spoiler – But for Which Party?Legendary Stanford Women’s Basketball Coach Tara VanDerveer Announces RetirementWhy Trees Contain MultitudesDoing Democracy: Should America Adopt a Parliamentary System of Government?