(Sarah McGowan/MeghanLaslocky.com)

Author Meghan Laslocky thought she had it bad when it came to love: she’s been dumped 12 times. But then she discovered that Ernest Hemingway stole his wife’s job when their marriage was collapsing. And that Lord Byron sent a breakup letter to his girlfriend, and had his new lover sign it. Laslocky joins us to talk about her new work “The Little Book of Heartbreak,” and the history of lost love in movies, art and literature. What was your worst breakup? And how did you cope?

Guests:
Meghan Laslocky, journalist and author of "The Little Book of Heartbreak"

I recently saw Jackson Browne at the SJ Civic Auditorium where he sang “In The Shape of a Heart” with lyrics that seem apropos to this topic:

————————————————–
    People speak of love don’t know what they’re thinking of
    Wait around for the one who fits just like a glove
    Speak in terms of belief and belonging
    Try to fit some name to their longing
    People speak of love

————————————————–

• Lisa

Heartache–my second husband did not want to face a breakup after falling off the wagon and starting to deal drugs to support his habit, and so went missing overseas. For a few months, I was uncertain what had happened. It was excruciating–contacting embassies, arranging for ways to locate him. After finally finding him, I gave him an opportunity to return and get serious about recovery. When he declined, I divorced him in absentia. In a way, the breakup was his decision to go missing.

I am not convinced that I have fully recovered. But I do have a good life.

• I’ve been on both sides of this. After nineteen years with my wife, she left me for my “best” friend. I felt suicidal for a time after that happened, and there was a lot of ugliness around custody with my son. In the end I ended up with my son and I moved on though.

Recently I broke up with my girlfriend of eleven years. My son was a big factor in that, and I know I didn’t handle it the best way that I could, but I needed to break up with her and work on the relationship with my young-adult son.

I’m sad about breaking up with my last girlfriend, even though I was the one that decided to end the relationship. I think of her every day, and I have come to realize that for me I won’t be completely over her until she can get over me and find the happiness she and everyone else deserves.

• Jessica

The saddest heartbreak song ever has got to be Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me If You Don’t.” I’m happily married now, but I still can’t listen to that song because it hurts too much.

• Debra

So Long Marianne by Leonard Cohen is on my list of sad heartbreak songs.

• joan

I wonder if there are good ways to break up, to hurt the other person least. Can you speak to that? I had a boyfriend who broke up with me, after we’d trekked 10 miles out, were camping in a small pup tent, it was pouring rain, and he chose that night to break up with me. I couldn’t leave the tent because of the rain, and we still have 10 miles together the next day. Now it’s funny, but what odd timing!

Beck has the best breakup album: Sea Change

Joan

• Amy

In my mind, the best relationship/breakup movie ever made is Woody Allen’s Annie Hall…. each time I went through a relationship heartbreak, or during those times where I despaired of ever finding The One, that movie was a bittersweet reminder of the ups and downs of love.

• Paula J

I feel nostalgic for that incredible rush of love feelings that you have with someone new. I wouldn’t change my spouse who is the perfect one for me but I do sometimes miss that love “high”

• mountain_webbie

My favorite breakup story was when my boyfriend came over to dump me and as we stood by the sofa, him giving me the boot and me listening dumbfounded, my cat jumped up between us and proceeded to expel a hairball. Made me laugh then and even more now.

• JackInPortland

Need to break up with someone, here’s the best way:

http://ask.metafilter.com/88726/How-do-I-let-someone-down-easy#1305651

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor