(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Journalist Amy Wilentz has written about Haiti for 25 years — but when she visited just weeks after the 2010 earthquake, she hardly recognized the country. Yet amid the devastation and signs of corruption, she says she also felt Haiti’s determined resilience and vibrant culture shine through. Her latest book, “Farewell, Fred Voodoo,” is a love letter to Haiti and its people, who she says are still undiminished by Haiti’s many challenges.

Guests:
Amy Wilentz, journalist, author of "Farewell, Fred Voodoo: A Letter From Haiti" and teacher of journalism at UC Irvine

• For those interested in this topic, please join us together with Amy Wilentz at the World Affairs Council today at noon, where we’ll be discussing resilience and transformation in Haiti: http://www.worldaffairs.org/events/2013/resilience-in-haiti.html

• Wendy

For an NGO organization that is making a difference in Haiti, I strongly recommend Haiti Peace Quilts (haitipeacequilts.org). Its founder, Jeanne Staples, is a New England artist who, prior to the earthquake and afterward, has volunteered her time and talents to help Haitian women earn an income and move toward economic independence by teaching them sewing skills. They make unique quilts and other items, which she helps market for them.

Wendy

Pinole

• E. Dayna de Coppet

Thank you Amy for sharing your passion for Haiti. Your talk re-ignited my interest to learn more about my Grandfather Andre de Coppet’s sisal
    plantation between 1927 and ’57 and read the book The Story of Fort Liberty and The Douphin Plantation. Much to learn and appreciate! Best wishes for your book tour. Emily de Coppet

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor