(Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

Despite a rough first quarter in Sunday’s NFC championship game, the San Francisco 49ers are headed for the Super Bowl for the first time in 18 years. They’ll face off against the Baltimore Ravens in New Orleans early next month in a Super Bowl game that will be significant for another reason. It will be the first time two brothers — Jim and John Harbaugh — will lead opposing teams in football’s biggest game. Commentators are calling it the “Har-bowl.” We preview Superbowl XLVII.

Guests:
Kevin Lynch, cover the 49ers for SFGate.com
Ann Killion, sports columnist for The San Francisco Chronicle and former contributing writer to Sports Illustrated and Comcast SportsNet Bay Area
Bob Lange, director of public relations for the San Francisco 49ers
Mark Purdy, sports columnist for the San Jose Mercury News and Bay Area News Group

• Malleus

I’m not looking forward to watching the concussions. I’d rather watch a game of chess than observe tragic incidents of brain damage transpiring as men pursue a mere oblong ball.

• John L

Regardless of whatever happens in New Orleans in a couple of weeks, I just hope people remember to not set any buses on fire.

More sports? Sigh.

• Hey for some different stories about the Niners that walk down a different path, let’s talk about Vernon Davis’s degree in studio art, his design business and now his new art gallery. None of those are the usual path for an NFL player

• nancy

Very disappointed with 49ers. I am a native bay area resident and grew up with the niners – especially during the Joe Montana times… we attended last weeks game with the Packers and was embarrassed to be a niner — fans used to be so classy but now…. I was way more impressed with the Packers. Our fans were so drunk and obnoxious beyond anything I have seen at other sporting events. Will not attend again – hopefully better behavior will prevail in Santa Clara – come on you guys – how about some class?!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor