(Said Khatib/AFP/Getty Images)

We discuss the recent escalation of violence between Israel and Hamas over Gaza.

Guests:
Eric Schmitt, senior writer and national security correspondent for The New York Times and co-author of "Counterstrike: The Untold Story of America's Secret Campaign Against Al Qaeda"
Janine Zacharia, visiting lecturer at Stanford University and former Jerusalem bureau chief and Middle East correspondent for The Washington Post
Dennis Ross, counselor for The Washington Institute for Near East Policy; former special assistant to President Obama and National Security Council Senior Director for the Central Region
Edmund Sanders, Jerusalem bureau chief for the Los Angeles Times

• Fred

Israel is like the guy down the street who’s beating his wife and raping his daughter, and yelling loudly that he has every right to do so. The USA is like the corrupt cop who’s protecting the wife-beating rapist and telling everyone in the neighborhood to calm down, nothing to see here, while everybody says are you crazy, cop?
    Unfortunately the USA’s role as a benefactor of Jewish-supremacist fascists (i.e. Zionists) is only increasing anti-Americanism in the world and bolstering the cause of the loony Islamists.

I sympathize with the pro-Palestinian position you are suggesting here. However, your choice of analogies are transparent in their attempts to incite rather than to construct or enlighten. Violent language such as this, while quite typical of web “commentary”, is precisely what the ongoing discourse of this topic does NOT need.

• commonsense1234

That is blatantly false and uninformed opinion. Imagine if Mexico or Canada launched 1,100 rockets against the US and they did not recognize the US’s right to exist. What do you think the US would do? Sit there and take it – Please.

• Peter

Last I checked, neither Mexico nor Canada was subject to a land, sea, and air blockade by the U.S.

• commonsense1234

Last I checked Mexico nor Canada was launching rockets at us. If they did, I am sure the situation would be different.

• Alfie

There is no historical justification of Eastern Europeans to live in Palestine. There are no gods, after all. Religion is a sham. Therefore biblical claims on that lands are empty justifications for theft and murder by Israel.

• commonsense1234

That argument is ranks along side the idea that all 12-15M Mexicans should self-deport themselves. The reality of the last 70 years can not be undone. Perhaps we should all pack up and return to Europe, Africa, and Asia and give the US back to the native americans – aint going to happen.

• Peter

Or perhaps we should take a lesson from Israel, and confine native Americans to Indian reservations and not allow them to live with equal rights under the law among U.S. citizens who have immigrated from Europe, Africa, and Asia.

• commonsense1234

Perhaps Hamas should stop firing rockets, amend their charter, accept Israel’s right to exist and make deal to get their much-belabored Palestinian state. There is a path to state-hood, but Hamas is the stubborn donkey in the room that won’t take the first step.

• Fred

The Native Americans came from Asia, silly boy.
            Albeit 15,000 years ago. But they are descendants of still migrants like us.

• commonsense1234

So we and the Native Americans should leave as well. Perhaps all of Humanity should simply return to Africa since we all came from there 70,000 years ago – or am I going too far.

• Roy-in-Boise

After the end of the British occupation of Palestine didn’t the original November 29, 1947 UN resolution on the partitioning of Palestine recommend the creation of two states one Arab and one Jewish? Roll forward 65 years and people are saying the two state solution is dead.
    Is this really an unsolvable rubric’s cube? Let’s hope not.

• Peter

Can one of your guests tell us what fraction of the Gaza Strip’s 1.6 million residents are refugees from the 1947-1949 Israeli war of independence, or descendants of these refugees, who used to live in what’s now Israel but have been prevented from returning to their original home towns and villages by successive Israeli governments? Maybe I missed it, but in all of the coverage of Gaza on KQED radio this past week (including NPR and BBC), I have not heard this piece of context mentioned once.

• erictremont

Your distortion of history is breathtaking, you conveniently ignore the fact that from 1949 to 1967, Gaza was occupied by Egypt.

• Peter

erictremont, I take strong exception to your post, which is rude, not only to me, but to other readers here. What you call my “distortion of history” was a QUESTION; once you caught your breath enough to write your post, you could have given some kind of answer to the question, or you could have pointed out faulty assumptions in it. You have done neither. If you’re concerned enough about my distortion of history that you’ll call it out as such, then why not take this opportunity to say which part of what I wrote is a distortion, and relay the true history to me and other readers of this forum? And yes, in my post I ignore the fact that from 1949 to 1967, Gaza was occupied by Egypt. But I don’t understand the relevance of that fact to what I wrote.

• white elephant

please look at the map of palestine and israel through the years. there are many sites that have it, like for example the following link:
    http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/mapstellstory.html

Did our media forget to mention that the latest conflict was provoked by attack by Israel and slaying of a palestinian child by Israel and further attack from Israel and killing of the Gaza civilians at the child’s funeral BEFORE rocket launches from Gaza started? The Rocket launches were provoked by Israel through the events that is sencored out of our media for convenient packaging of ‘the news story’ that our media wants us (americans) to believe.

Simply compare who has destroyed more buildings and schools, and who has killed more civilians. This should be sufficient to know that the whole pictures is severely distorted in our media. It is ironic that both sides should know that taking the life of one innocent person is like killing all of the people. Why then should peace not be the only option? The destruction of civilians has gone on long enough for both parties (although radically skewed). Israel gets too many benefits and hand outs from us to want peace.

• commonsense1234

Hamas should not be launching rockets – PERIOD. Hamas is a terrorist organization that does not even acknowledges Israel’s right to exist. Hamas does not get it – they need to negotiate!

• Peter

What does “Israel’s right to exist” mean?

• commonsense1234

According to Hamas’ charter, “Israel will exist and will continue to exist
          until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it.” So that is pretty clear – their goal is the destruction of Israel. The PLO has this as well until they were forces out of Lebanon and finally came to negotiating table. Unfortunately, Hamas still has to go through that learning curve.

• Peter

You did not actually answer my question. When you speak of “Israel’s right to exist”, you mean Israel’s right to exist as what? And where does this notion even come from that a country has a right to exist? I don’t remember anyone ever saying that Czechoslovakia or the Soviet Union had a “right to exist”.

• commonsense1234

Right to exist as a country. The USSR was not recognized for years after the revolution. Most of the Arab countries don’t acknowledge Israel as a sovereign state that has a right to exist. Now of course the Czech Republic and Russia are recognized by the vast majority of the countries in the world, but there are still UN member countries that don’t recognize Israel.

• Peter

I don’t get this “right to exist as a country”. You sidestep the question of whether Czechoslovakia and the USSR had this “right to exist as a country”. Speaking of recognition (is that the same as acknowledging “right to exist as a country”, or is it different?), the U.S. hasn’t recognized Iran for 30 years. And speaking of most of the Arab countries, does the 2002 Arab League offer of recognition of Israel under certain conditions count as conditional recognition of “Israel’s right to exist” or does it not? You’re waving this flag of “Israel’s right to exist”, but don’t seem clear on what it means. The Hamas Charter is obviously using the term “Israel” to refer to the regime that since 1967 has been in control of all of the area of the former Palestine Mandate.

• commonsense1234

International recognition is key to securing ones right to exist. The Arab League’s proposal could be a useful step forward, but if you look at the details of the proposal, it would make the future of Israel untenable.

The reason why the ‘right to exist’ is so symbolically important to Israel and the region – it can not be discounted as some semantic verbiage.

Hamas was founded in 1987 – when they mention Israel in their charter – they mean the whole country!! Go to one of their website.

Lastly, how did I side step the question about Czech. & the USSR? On November 16, 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt ended
            almost 16 years of American non-recognition of the Soviet Union.

• Peter

Jonathan: The concept of governments having diplomatic relations with each other is well understood. But the concept of a government recognizing another’s “right to exist as a country” is NOT well understood; it’s something that you’ve made up. But I’m not just dismissing it; I’m trying to understand it. You could help us understand this concept by saying when, if ever, Czechoslovakia and/or the USSR had, or still have, the “right to exist as a country”, and when, if ever, these rights were recognized by anyone else, but you don’t tell us. And I asked specifically “does the 2002 Arab League offer of recognition of Israel under certain conditions count as conditional recognition of “Israel’s right to exist” or does it not?” — which prompted you to give a brief analysis of the merits of the proposal from an Israeli perspective without answering my actual question, which was aimed at understanding this “right to exist” that you insist “can not be discounted as some semantic verbiage.”

And I am not understanding what the difference is between the two of us when I say “The Hamas Charter is obviously using the term “Israel” to refer to the regime that since 1967 has been in control of all of the area of the former Palestine Mandate” and you counter me with “when they mention Israel in their charter – they mean the whole country!!” If your image of Hamas’s ultimate stated goal is to destroy the actual land, for example by setting off massive explosives throughout the 1948-1967 boundaries of the state of Israel and letting the Mediterranean Sea flow in to the craters, then you’re misreading the charter, completely misunderstanding what the people who wrote it were thinking.

• disqus_iULflinl1C

cause when you being bombed daily for no reason u kinda prefer not too or by your hypocrytical talk you mean otherwise?

• disqus_iULflinl1C

this guy surely in hamas

This conflict is emblematic of why the recent U.S. presidential election was a foreign policy farce with both “major” parties trying to outdo one another in Zionist zeal. Until Americans find the political will to seriously support third parties willing to approach Israel and Palestinians on an equitable basis, a two state solution remains tragically out of reach. We must find ways in the mean time to better support the Palestinian people and strive to moderate our mindless support for Israel. That starts with programs with like this. Who is working to make Palestinians safer??? When do we apply the term “terrorist” to Israeli forces??

• disqus_iULflinl1C

to get rid of terrorist got to be terrorist too bad israel dont realize it i hope they do soon before hamas gonna get more teritoritys for a ‘piece’ offer that never will come

• Peter

Question for the panel: In maintaining its blockade of the Gaza Strip, how much is Israel emboldened by U.S. diplomatic and military support?

• Peter

The host neglected to mention that his guest, Dennis Ross, is not only a former U.S. government official affiliated with WINEP, but also co-chairman of the board of directors of the Jerusalem-based Jewish People Policy Institute, whose stated mission is “to ensure the thriving of the Jewish People and the Jewish civilization”. So when he says “we”, he may not necessarily be talking about the United States.

• coexist

Hamas is using women, children, and foolish foreigners as human shields. When Israel strikes legitimate targets, the world cries over the non-combatants who die. However, those who die are either hostages of Hamas or sacrificing themselves on purpose by placing themselves next to Hamas and other terrorists.
    Sam in San Jose

• Peter

How did they become hostages of Hamas?

• coexist

They block links here. Search for “Hamas detains foreign journalists in the Gaza Strip”.

• coexist

And right now on KQED, they report Hamas military leaders dying in a media building. Israel gets screwed for striking Hamas military who hide behind foreign journalists. Hamas, however, freely uses human shields.

• commonsense1234

From Hamas’ fundamentalist point of view, women and children do not have a say. They are told to sit so they sit in buildings that are launching rockets. The more press they get, the more sympathy they try to get from the world community who don’t understand what is going on. These are fundamentalist thugs who believe that any means are justified.

• Peter

What I meant by my question “How did they become hostages of Hamas?” is how did the situation arise where these 1.6 million people were confined to this small area?

• coexist

Well, first they bred like crazy. Second, neighboring Arab nations won’t give them citizenship. Third, they keep attacking Jews and others, so there’s a need to contain them.

The Palestinians want the Jews to self-deport or die. You want Mexicans to self-deport and die, right?

• Peter

How many of them actually come from Israel but are not permitted to return to their homes there because the state of Israel considers them to have the wrong religion?

• c03x1s7

Very few, and certainly far fewer than were kicked out of 98% of the Middle East, where Jews are of the wrong religion and their death is constantly called for. See, even though most Islamic nations have no Jewish population at all, and the remaining ones have few Jews, Israel actually has a sizable number of Arab/Muslim citizens. Your slander doesn’t work.

• Peter

c03x1s7, if you’re going to accuse me outright of slander (as you did in “Your slander doesn’t work”), civilized discourse requires that you be clear about what constitutes my slander. Here I have asked a QUESTION, “How many …?”, and you have supplied the answer, which is “Very few”.

As you may be aware, though, the UNRWA website says that “The Gaza Strip is home to a population of more than 1.5 million people, including 1.1 million Palestine refugees”, so that’s a big enough discrepancy that the discrepancy itself — a UN agency vs. a more knowledgeable observer such as c03x1s7 — is absolutely worth discussing on the program. “Under UNRWA’s operational definition, Palestine
            refugees are people whose normal place of residence was Palestine
            between June 1946 and May 1948, who lost both their homes and means of
            livelihood as a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli conflict. UNRWA’s services are available to all those living in
            its area of operations who meet this definition, who are registered
            with the Agency and who need assistance. The descendants of the original
            Palestine refugees are also eligible for registration.”

• commonsense1234

Good luck with your historical arguments. No Israeli govt – Likud, Labor or Kadima is ever ever going to consider going back to the pre- 1948 boundaries. The Palestinians and their Arab allies lost that war. There are no ‘do-overs’. This is not some kids game, this isn’t ‘Risk’. The UN is not in the driver’s seat. It is a representative body only.

BTW – there are Palestinian refugees in Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan and they have been their for 50+ years and are still not viewed as citizens. Their own Arab brethren treat them like second class-citzens. In Jordan for example, most of population of Jordan are Palestinians (look it up). It makes more sense to have Jordan become the Palestinian state and give them most of the WB and the Gaza and call it a day. Economically speaking a Palestinian state is not economically viable without being economically unified to Israel.

• Peter

Most Palestinian refugees in Jordan are Jordanian citizens. And yes, most people in Jordan are Palestinian refugees — which means they are refugees from the OPPOSITE side of the Jordan River. The Jordanian king gave up his claim on the West Bank back in 1988.

In Syria and Lebanon, most Palestinian refugees are treated not as second-class citizens but as NON-citizens.

• Peter

Pretty sad that the only comments from this website read on air are this one, and two others that branched out to relationships with Syria and West Bank settlements.

• commonsense1234

What is the relationship between the Free Syrian Army and Hamas? Hamas’ HQ outside of the Gaza is located in Syria. If the Assad regime falls, what would their relationship be??

• coexist

Hamas fires thousands of rockets at civilians and tries to destroy Israel. Israel begs in the UN and international press for relief. Israel is condemned. Israel defends itself. Israel is condemned. There is a name for this: hatred of Jews. Antisemitism doesn’t cut it anymore. Sam in San Jose

• commonsense1234

So in order to get Hamas to the table, would it make sense for the US to support the FSA with a no-fly zone in order to accelerate Assad’s fall?

• cooper29

So every now and then Israel feels that it needs to “mow the grass” to
    maintain the status quo (aka the apartheid state)? What a sick
    euphemism for killing other human beings. The fact that host Dave Iverson did not call this out for what it is tells you a lot about just how warped corporate media has become. This is just more of the same from a sick media and sociopathic leaders. Folks if you are interested in real solutions read alternative media and support third party candidates

• commonsense1234

Apartheid?! Wow I did not know that the the African National Congress had missiles that it was lobbing into Johannesburg. If you have a group of people who a) don’t recognize Israel’s right to exist, b) launches rockets and carries out terrorist attacks against civilians, and c) won’t negotiate to improve the lives of their people – one might call them sociopaths. The simple fact is that Hamas’ actions are making it very very easy for the Likud to stay in power and not negotiate. If they tried peaceful solutions, they might have a better chance of winning over the Israeli population – launching rockets aint going to do it.

• Peter

Jonathan is so impressed with his “Israel’s right to exist” catchphrase that he now says that a failure to recognize it is one of three signs that a group of people might be called “sociopaths”. But does Israel’s occupied Palestinian territory (the West Bank + Gaza Strip, recognized by Israel in the Oslo accords as a “single territorial entity”) have the right to exist as a country? Does Israel’s government recognize this right? If yes, then why does it urge the Palestinian Authority NOT to go to the UN to seek recognition as a member, or even as a non-member? And why does the platform of Israel’s governing Likud party say that “The Government of Israel flatly rejects the establishment of a Palestinian Arab state west of the Jordan river”? Both observed reality and public declarations seem to suggest that the government of Israel doesn’t recognize the “right to exist as a country” of a Palestinian Arab state west of the Jordan river. Now I have no intention of defending the “right” of such a country to exist, partly because I don’t even understand what such a “right” means. But Jonathan is so loudly proclaiming the importance of recognizing “Israel’s right to exist” that he seems to be crying out to be asked whether or not the Israeli-occupied Palestinian territories have the same “right”, and whether or not this right is or should be recognized by the government of Israel.

As for the other points, the Hamas people who run things within the Gaza Strip do launch rockets and carry out terrorist attacks against civilians, but so does the Israeli government, as did some of the movements that brought that government into being in the 1940s, the Irgun and Lehi of future prime ministers Menachem Begin and Yitzhak Shamir, who immigrated from eastern Europe. To say that the Hamas regime “won’t negotiate to improve the lives of their people” is a broad assertion that on the face of it appears simply wrong: What about the truces that Hamas has negotiated with Israel? Were those not aimed at improving the lives of their people? Anyway, Israel is still legally the occupying power of the Gaza Strip and as such, is responsible for the well-being of the people living there.

• commonsense1234

If the term ‘ Right to exist’ is no big deal – then it should not be a big deal from the Palestinians to make that simple statement – but they won’t because – Hamas believes Israel should be utterly destroyed. This is on par with Taiwan taking back Mainland China – ie crazy, sociopath.

Palestine is not a state, it is not a nation. I can declare my house is a separate country, but saying it does not make it so. It is political grandstanding. The Palestinians can declare their state without Israel’s permission. That is a simple reality.

Regarding occupation, Israel does not occupy Gaza. It is blockading it because of Hamas’ military actions. Any country would do this. Hamas is responsible for this situation – they know what to do to improve the lives of their people. BTW – if Hamas makes a deal, there are billions and billions of dollars waiting to redevelop the Gaza. It is up to them.

Under Ehud Barak proposal, he put up a deal to the Palestinian authority to 1) withdraw from Gaza, withdraw from 90+% of the WB 2) expand the boundary of Jerusalem so that they can have their capital there. Yassir Arafat said “No” – because he wants all the Palestinians the right to return to their lands in Israel. That boat has sailed. Now you have many more Israeli settlers which makes it much more difficult politically to come up with a solution, but Hamas’ extremism ( i.e. suicide bombing, rockets) makes it really easy for any element of the Israeli govt to put off a peace settlement.

I hope there will be a Palestinian state, but Hamas has to understand that a) Israel is a sovereign country (that is not going away) b) Given that they are in an unequal situation – they have to realize they are not going to get 100% of what they want. But instead of accepting that reality, they stick to their guns and the conflict continues.

• Peter

Jonathan: I note that you avoid saying whether or not Palestine (West Bank + Gaza Strip) has the “right to exist”, and whether or not Israel recognizes that right.

“Sociopath[ic]” means anti-social, lacking a conscience. Replacing Israel with an Islamic state over all of the territory of Mandate Palestine may be as unrealistic as Taiwan taking over mainland China, but is “sociopathic” the right term? More interesting comparisons would be with the Zionist project of European Jews taking over Palestine, or the ANC’s fight for equal rights for all in South Africa despite the power of the whitse. Were those sociopathic, crazy?

If the Gaza Strip is not Israeli-occupied territory, then what is the status of that piece of land? Is it the sovereign territory of an independent country? Or is it a no man’s land like Antarctica? Israel even seems to admit in practice that it occupies the Gaza Strip, not only with its blockade, but also with allowing something like 80 trucks a day into the Strip from Israel — the only goods crossing into the Strip.

Why is it a problem that Arafat “wants all the Palestinians the right to return to their lands in Israel”, other than that the Israeli government is powerful enough to refuse to give the refugees that right? You make it sound as if you view it as a bad thing that people who have fled fighting or been forcibly deported during a war should be allowed to return to their homes at the end of hostilities.

• disqus_iULflinl1C

becouse houndreds ppl like you writing things they dunno over the net lots of ppl die a war is a war i didnt seen america being punished for iraq and its just 1 exmple but unfurtinatly israel leaders afraid of public while they need to bomb hamas to the next world long ago while hamas bombing daily just of hatred cause someone born there israel provides to gaza food resources and lets prisoners learn for degrees in jail an eye for an eye not even enogth when u up against mad ppl who dont afraid or learn just ask for more and more and i hate ppl like you who write sht when he dunno a 1st thing of whats going on there

• coexist

Janine dodges the question. Schmitt lauds the NYTimes, a mediocre paper with biased coverage. Once Ross left, the show went downhill. They’re both clueless.

• c03x1s7

Janine’s answer was that the poor Gazans can’t help but fire from a populated area because the place is so overcrowded. That’s a plain old lie. Take a look at a google map of Gaza. There are tons of places to fire from without getting near a building. Janine lies like Hamas, for Hamas, and against Israel and the Jews.

• Ellis

First, the US Government and President
    Obama are unable to criticize the targeted assassination of the Hamas
    Defense Minister which is the root of this latest round of Israeli
    “collective punishment” against the people of the Gaza Strip.
    This is because of our own illegal drone assassination program.

Secondly, it should be noted that Gaza
    is a population where 60% of the population are 18 years old and
    younger. So, Israel is not only inflicting “collective punishment,”
    but also attacking mostly women and children. This is a war crime.
    There is no other way to interpret what we are seeing.

Lastly, any colonial project, as the
    state of Israel is, must resort to this level of barbaric ethnic
    cleansing to complete the effort.

• commonsense1234

Ellis – what do you do to your enemies? They are enemies because they have declared war on you, they have launched rockets, they have bombed the Twin towers, they have assassinated plenty of folks themselves – with no regard for human life as well. The N. Waziristan problem is going to be Pakistan’s and Afghanistan’s after we leave and I suspect they will use our drones as well. Regarding your second point, perhaps Hamas should simply recognize Israel’s right to exist and stop launching rockets at Israel – that would be a good start. You act like Hamas did not start this – ask them what they want – they will say the obliteration of Israel. Regarding your 3rd point, Israel is not colonizing the Gaza – they withdrew like 7 years ago.

• Ellis

Dear Jonathan,

Let me paint a scenario that explains
        the Israeli situation.

What I see is the Soviet Union in
        Afghanistan in the late 1980’s losing the war. Fast forward to 2012.
        We see the United States in the same situation of losing the war in
        Afghanistan. The takeaway from both, is that the Soviet Union
        collapsed and in the process it jettisoned most of its satellites
        like Cuba. We can expect that at some point the United States will do
        the same – and in this case what gets jettisoned will be Israel.

Cuba survived and so will Israel, but
        the relationship with their respective sponsors becomes very
        different. Israel’s relationship with its neighbors is critical, you
        have to morph from a colonial project into a progressive force for
        modernization in the region – war is not the answer. You have to
        use technology to move the region forward with water, solar,
        industrial development to help uplift the people of the region. This
        is the way forward! I will call it peace, but you can call it what
        you like. It’s untilmately the only way forward.

• commonsense1234

Dear Ellis,

I don’t see Afghanistan bringing down the US govt/economy. That is sheer wishful thinking on your part. The US economy is more than $14 Trilion, we can borrow money at 1.6%, we are the world currency – the Soviet Union had none of those things – they had an inherently flawed economic system. What really brought down the Soviet Union was Comecon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comecon).

Regarding Israel, unlike Cuba, it has a viable economy that does not need our support to keep it afloat. Israel has a GDP of $244 Billion (2011). Your domino theory does not hold any water in reality.

I agree with your last points. I, too, believe Israel needs to make peace with its neighbors and the Palestinians but is hard to do that when Hamas does not want you to exist and keeps lobbing rockets into your cities. It is also difficult to make peace when there is no central Palestinian authority who can enforce peace treaty. It also becomes difficult to have peace when one of the major sticking points is that they want all of the Palestinians to reclaim all of their land from 1947 (that boat has sailed – no going to happen).

Look Hamas is making it very easy for Likud not to negotiate and the more time they waste launching rockets, the more settlers set up shop in the WB and EJ. Currently, about 520K which represents 6.6% of the population. Given that the Israeli govt is a parliamentary system, small parties have a disproportionate amount of power because each govt needs to form a coalition. Back in 1999, settlers did not represent such a high % of the population. So if the Palestinians want their state, it would be wise for them to get to the negotiating table ASAP before the demographic shifts make a deal impossible.

• disqus_iULflinl1C

smartass the war didnt started now but years ago and what you saying been tried long ago just cause it wasnt published doesnt mean it didnt happened

• Fred

Actually Muslims had nothing to do with the Twin Towers. That was a controlled demolition, as was the collapse of WTC building 7 on 9/11. It was a corporate attack by the military industrial complex with assistance from CIA front companies.

• disqus_iULflinl1C

you can say that as long as you dont hear a whistle of missile falling near you ready too kill you for only 1 reason cause you were born in that country and not other cause of stupid beliefs i wanna see you hearing that whistle every few hours as traumatic as it gets and i can say it only cause i expirienced it couple of days ago and i dont even care for religion but i do care for my life and if i could i would bombed the one who fired that missile for shreads and every one who tried to kill me if someone attacks you you got to attack back cause no one cared for your life exept you and in the end you stay alone in the dark same goes for countrys look what happening with poor civilians in iran a dictator has risen for couple of years and only they fighting while all the world only stares like watching a show ha ha how amusing throwing comments but only they are the ones who know their suffer and all other ppl here who only talk and talk cause found an amusing topic 99% of them dunno what they even talking about before you do something to someone else imagine them doing that to you and mybe you realize the horror of your own hands

• white elephant

In this none ending war between Israel and Palestine, there is no one side who is all right and ‘holy’ and one side that is all wrong and ‘evil’. Both sides have done wrong by each other and wrong by their own people. Killing is not an answer to anything. I will not be surprised if Palestinians see Israeli government as the ‘terrorist organization’, just as Israel sees Hammas as ‘terrorist organization’. Clearly, just by looking at the map of the land in the region over the past 50 years, the number of casualty per year on each side, and by the amount of money and weapons on each side. It is clear who is the more aggressive party between the two. There will be no end to this mess, until each side decides to walk in the shoes of the other. Create a no weapon zone and let the kids grow up together and go to school together. They will learn about humanity instead of hatred. Maybe in 30 years, some of these kids can grow up to bring peace to the land FINALLY.

• disqus_iULflinl1C

you try to walk away and beind stub in the back countless of times we gave up to them land for piece and each time were discovered we been fooled this world aint white and black its gray but idialist in this very forum created the black and white world ppl nature is so degrading this days you just believe everything you hear ppl dunno even to use their own head even if they think they dou its implented so easily like this situation if u say hamas is person A and israel is person B so person A says lets be freinds person B says ok but give me a finger and you know the rest of the saying you give a finger…

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor