(Jaka Vinsek/Courtesy American Nurse Project)

“Touch has the power to heal.” That’s what photographer Carolyn Jones says she discovered when she interviewed nurses across the country for her new book, “The American Nurse.” She met nurses who worked with prisoners and amputee veterans, who cared for some of the first AIDS patients, and who survived Hurricane Katrina. She spoke with over 70 nurses, including the nurse who changed Carolyn’s own life when she battled breast cancer.

About The American Nurse Project:

Guests:
Carolyn Jones, filmmaker and photographer with the 100 People Foundation, an educational non-profit
Rhonda Collins, registered nurse and vice president and business manager of Fresenius Kabi USA, a pharmaceutical company which funded the book project
Emily Fitzgerald, nurse at the UCSF Medical Center who is featured in the book

• Terri Moss

I’m so glad you are raising awareness and acknowledging the healing power of touch, and the role that nurses play. To do this job of healing requires presence, a willingness to be open to connection, and an understanding that healing happens beyond the technology of caregiving.

To sustain this effort over the long run, nurses must be encouraged to not only take the time to connect with patients and families by being rewarded for this behavior, but they must be supported in their own self care. As publisher of self care, inspirational books and wisdom cards for nurses and health care professionals, I know hospitals are moving in this direction of supporting nurse self care, but a book like yours will further encourage this effort…Thank you for documenting this.

Terri Moss, Moss Communications, http://www.mosscommunications.net

• Cristina

Hi. Thank you for your feature on the nursing profession. It’s nice to shed some light on what nurses do on day to day basis as this seems to be not fully understood by the public. I also just wanted to inform listeners that this week is NP week. To all my fellow NPs, happy NP week! Thank you for all you do.

• KQED, I love you dearly and this is a wonderful program, but can we please give a nudge to moderator Scott Shafer? During this program, as in others he has moderated, his response to the most poignant, heartfelt revelation is a laconic and disinterested “yah” and his impatience with some callers is palpable. For the amount of time and effort KQED devotes to these fascinating and worthwhile topics, the display of a tad more interest and politesse by the moderator would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

a long-time KQED member

• Dawn

I’m honestly shocked that your guest has no idea why so many nurses in the United States are Filipina. How can you do such a project when you have no idea about your demographic? The United States colonial regime brought in nursing schools to the Philippines and trained thousands of students in the same ways they were trained in the US. After 1965, when immigration laws encouraged the immigration of highly trained professionals, especially in nursing, there was an entire generation of English-speaking, American-trained nurses in the Philippines who were ready to go to work. Of course, these women encouraged their daughters to go into nursing — which is viewed culturally as very honorable, well-paying work amongst Filipino Americans.

Please refer your guest to the following book by UC Berkeley historian Catherine Ceniza Choy, about the relationship between nursing, empire, and migration of Filipina nurses.
    http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Care-Migration-Encounters-Interactions/dp/082233089X

• Sally Drummond

Thank you for bringing this project and book to our attention. The book is the perfect gift for my daughter who is receiving her MSN from SF state in December. She is fully aware of the competition for new grads in the Bay Area and has interviews in Idaho and Utah. Being a nurse working with children and babies is a life long dream and we know she is entering this rewarding profession for the “right reasons”.

• This is so inspired. Health workers are so underappreciated – that is why we launched the REAL Awards to honor health workers in the USA and around the world. Check it out and nominate a great health worker in your community at http://www.theREALawards.com . I have already bought the book to give to some inspirational nurses I know!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor