(Getty Images)

Calling all ghosts, ghouls and hipster robots — it’s time to set up your social calendar for Halloween. We check in with event planners and others about the best shows, haunted houses and other frights around the Bay. How are you going to celebrate the holiday? Are you dressing up as a kung-fu baseball panda or a binder full of women?

Guests:
Chuck Nicklow, manager of Costumes on Haight
Johnny Hayes, a.k.a. Johnny Funcheap, founder of FunCheapSF.com
Vanessa Hope Schneider, senior public relations manager for Eventbrite, a website offering resources for event creation, promotion and ticket sales
Eric Albertson, mechanical engineer who decorates his home every Halloween

• Momma KAC

This will be our second annual neighborhood tradition: roasting marshmallows over a little portable fireplace in the driveway to make s’mores for trick-or-treaters. The kids lined up last year to get one. (Many had never roasted marshmallows before.) For those who couldn’t or wouldn’t wait, there was candy from the candy bucket handed out at the door. What a hoot! I have a new beautiful costume piece for this year. Kathryn in Mountain View

• ally

we never go to those over-priced events. sometimes we host a party and sometimes we attend one. as there are hardly any children in our neighborhood, no one feels obligated to stay at home and hand oout sugar delivery systems produced by the many companies the Koch brothers own. happy halloween, that, bubba.

• Laird

For the adults that are kids at heart, I recommend Cookie Mongoloid the sesame street speed metal band, performing with Big Foot the Musical.

• When I worked on Phantom of the Opera as backstage wardrobe the professionals in costume ,makeup and hair would begin by intermission to transform. As the second act developed so did the bizarre and wonderful area backstage. By curtain-time the actors would shed their costumes and staff were unrecognizable. Many moved on to the Castro directly from work. Hi bros and sis’s in local 784.

• Christine

SF SPCA is having a Halloween promotion – All black and orange animals are free adoptions!

• Rebecca Morgan

We help trick-or-treaters feed their minds not their cavities by giving brain candy: books! We will be handing out 8000 books at the Campbell trick-or-treating tonight as well as in Willow Glen in San Jose next Wed. A free kit on how to do this for your own trick-or-treaters is at http://www.BooksForTreats.org.

Rebecca Morgan

Exec Director

• Alex

I noticed on funcheap’s listing of the haunted house at the store that it is “a small neighborhood event that can’t handle large crowds.”
    I don’t know why they’d list it – I’d hate to show up and not be able to get in, like happened to my friend last year!

• Christian

Los Gatos Oak Meadow Park has a show called Goblyns Glen/Shadow Hills. Goblyns Glen is aimed at kids 12 and under. It runs from dusk to 9pm and kids can trick or treat through a world of costumed characters. Come in costume!
    Shadow Hills takes over at 9pm and is aimed at scaring adults. Bring your friends! The show runs this weekend and Halloween night.

• Kelly Knowles

“Howl For Halloween” in Los Gatos is free and family friendly. People and their pooches come dressed in costume, and many downtown shops will be giving away dog treats. Come to downtown Los Gatos and trick-or-treat doggie style this Sunday, Oct 28, from 4pm-6pm. Many restaurants downtown with outdoor seating are dog friendly. There is no entertainment and no contests–it’s all about seeing the wonderful costumes and enjoying lovely downtown Los Gatos. For more info:
    http://losgatos.patch.com/articles/howl-for-halloween-in-los-gatos

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor