(Photo courtesy of Shawn Calhoun/Flickr)

San Francisco’s Omega Boys Club is marking 25 years helping at-risk kids lead lives free from violence and incarceration, succeed academically and make positive contributions to society. Omega has provided academic and life skills support to more than 1,300 boys and girls, and its violence prevention programs have reached more than 15,000 students. Co-founder and Executive Director Joe Marshall joins us as part of our First Person series on the leaders, innovators and others who make the Bay Area unique.

Guests:
Joe Marshall, executive director and co-founder of the Omega Boys Club/Street Soldiers and vice president of the San Francisco Police Commission

• TimDoyle

As a kid was a member The Portland Boy Club. To this day I appreciate the lessons that were instilled in us by people like Mr. Marshall. It was an inner city club with all types of people. I still am an alumni member.

• burro

Thank you sir. What a treasure you are to the community.

• Laura

Thank you , thank you , thank you for helping the kids, giving them hope and being a light. You work is beyond valuable and can’t be measured in numbers. Your good work ripples out in ways you probably will never know.

• fellow-teacher

I live in a gang injunction neighborhood. Im curious about your opinion/feedback regarding the gang injunctions. The gang activity is primarily young males, many still high school age. Many still impressionable, at least i’d like to be optimistic about that.
    What are your thoughts?

And thank you for your work!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor