(Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

Following a remarkable streak of wins surprising nearly everyone, the Oakland A’s this week clinched the American League West division title after spending most of the season far in the back of the pack. Meanwhile, an exuberant San Francisco Giants team has secured the National League West title. Both of the Bay Area teams begin playoff games this weekend. We preview the post-season and discuss the Bay Area’s stunning season of baseball.

Guests:
Marty Lurie, Giants pre-game and post-game host for KNBR 680
Ann Killion, contributing writer for Sports Illustrated and Comcast SportsNet Bay Area
Ken Korach, play-by-play radio announcer for the Oakland A's; prior to joining the A's in 1996, he was part of the Chicago White Sow broadcasting crew

• MajorLeagueLew

What about Chili Davis!!!!!
    This is Oakland baseball at it’s best. Scrappers and scratchers with everyone picking each other up. This isn’t a 2006 team a mulder, zito hudson team or a 1989 team. It’s 2012 and they’re winning despite Lew Wolf. The only thing that would make this better would be if Scutaro and Ellis were stilll with the team.

• Steve

My take on Lew Wolff is that it’s not about baseball for him – it’s about real estate. There should be no problem building a new stadium in Oakland, but it probably won’t have the shopping centers and other real estate profits that Wolff is after.

• Bob Fry

I’d like to see the Giants in the World Series again…but I’d also like to see a true West Coast/East Coast Series with the A’s and Nationals.

• Dave

been an A’s fan and have attended games since 1976. this team has been a great roller coaster. A couple of points about the stadium situation.

The territory issue should be an non-issue the san jose area was given to the Giants by the Haas ownership as an incentive for Lurie to keep the team in this area, remember that…?

The A’s had an owner group ready to keep the team here and build a new ballpark, but the purchased was voted down by owners including the Giants owners. Remember the George Zimmer group. Why would the Giants owners stop that purchase?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor