(Center for Civilians in Conflict)

In 2003, 28-year-old Californian Marla Ruzicka was killed by a suicide bomber in Baghdad while working to document the civilian casualties of the Iraq War and to fight for compensation for victims’ families. The group she founded — now called Center for Civilians in Conflict — has moved away from door-to-door advocacy in war zones, and now works with warring parties around the world to help civilians. We talk with Executive Director Sarah Holewinski about the campaign to reduce civilian casualties and compensate victims in conflict zones like Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia and Pakistan. We’ll also discuss the impact on civilians of the increased use of drones by the U.S. military.

Guests:
Sarah Holewinski, executive director of the Center for Civilians in Conflict

• RA

Re: Syria: “I’m not trying to let the rebels off here…”… except that you just did. And that’s in the first minute of the show.

Not the most credible way to start off.

… i was being brought over until the guest’s disavowal of neutrality. This seems to be about beating the US over the head with our own values.

Also, the concept of this level of compensation in anything but a trivial war is ridiculous. The numbers would be HUGE. However, this does appeal to my libertarian view that everyone should just file civil suits against each other and settle it in court. Nobody would fight a war again…. oh except all the bad guys who don’t give a damn.

• EID

ANOTHER GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT IN OBAMA OUT OF MANY. OVER 2000 AMERICAN ARE DEAD AND MORE MAIMED. STOP THIS MADNESS AND BRING THE TROOPS HOME

• EID

PLEASE DO NOT CALL IT COLLATERAL DAMAGE, CALL IT MURDER OF INNOCENT PEOPLE

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor