(Amy Sussman/Getty Images)

During his time in hiding, author Salman Rushdie’s security detail asked that he provide an alias. He chose “Joseph Anton,” in honor of literary heroes Conrad and Chekhov. The name also serves as the title of Rushdie’s new memoir. The Booker Prize-winning author joins us to discuss his new book, in which he recounts the nine years he lived under Ayatollah Khomeini’s fatwah, imposed in response to Rushdie’s 1988 novel “The Satanic Verses.”

Guests:
Salman Rushdie, author of 11 novels, several collections of essays, children's books and short stories

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Forgive me if this sounds like a naive question, but what exactly is blasphemy against Islam and/or their Prophet?

It was the late Christopher Hitchens who got me interested in Mr Rushdie, agnostics and atheists.

• MiltonDValler

It’s whatever any islam follower says it is. Muslems are outraged at almost everything.

• BuzzK

Nice…A hate-mongering buffoon lecturing people on Islam….Is your name Mitlon or did you actually mispell your own name, Milton???
        What a clown.

• MiltonDValler

Yawn. A PC robot. Clank! Clank! Ask Santa Claus for a brain for that carpenter celebration event in Dec.

• jodaveki

The eminent Mr. Rushdie’s experience with terrorism stands as a stark indictment of all religion: none of the good works done in a god’s name can ever make up for the one evil deed done in that same god’s name.

• Maya Rastogi

What do you think of the extra harassment women writers like Taslima Nasreen face from the religious right?

• Anamika

Mr.Rushdie, what are your perspectives on the heightened Islamophobia in the US that has made Islam an easy target for vilification and rebuke?

• MiltonDValler

He answered: Islamophobia is a silly word designed to stifle debate.

• ed

Real bad timing Michael,

• Abbe

Please comment on the fate of Nicaragua, which you wrote about before Satanic Verses.

• Sasha Bell

In 1999, as a member of the pop group, Ladybug Transistor, I wrote a song called Catherine Elizabeth based on an interview that took place in my Brooklyn home with Salman Rushdie and Paul Auster. I was so in awe of Mr Rushdie’s graciousness and intelligence. I was the production coordinator on a literary documentary at the time, and the only person in NYC (on this particular occasion) willing to take Salman into my home. It was unforgettable honor. Thank you.

• What do u think about the new movie the midnights children! Do u think the book is better or the movie? Thanks

• Ed

i agree Rushdi have been laughing all the way to the bank, meanwhile he has been a sore thumb in the history of the world

• Eglyntine

thanks for writing – can you write more please – I like your voice and rhythm.

• Mike

If I was Michael Krasny, i was not interviewing him at this sensitive time!

• Ellis

Ouch, Ouch,

If you experienced
    intellectual/emotional pain and suffering by the voice of one Salman
    Rushdie as I did; May I offer this mental salve to soothe some of
    your pain.

The Tender Tyranny of
    American Liberalism Redux

By Prof. James F. Tracy

Global Research,
    September 21, 2012

“While American
    liberalism exudes understanding and open-mindedness as its principal
    outward expressions, it is not satiated until it has achieved
    consensus on its terms and subsumed all intellectual challengers.
    What is more, it seethes in the notion that one or more political
    outlooks exist apart from what its disciples have endorsed and
    mandated. Thus efforts are methodically employed to discipline public
    discourse and thought along lines favorable to the liberal project of
    political (read: cognitive) correctness.”

Please
    read the entire article to get more relief!

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-tender-tyranny-of-american-liberalism-redux/

• MiltonDValler

Actually I found Salman uplifting in his struggle against oppressive religious tyranny. (Speaking of tyranny)

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor