(Courtesy NormanGary.com)

Honeybee expert and former UC Davis professor Norman Gary spent 40 years moonlighting as a “bee wrangler” for TV shows and Hollywood films like “Fried Green Tomatoes,” “The X Files” and “Candyman.” Gary is also listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having 109 bees in his mouth for 10 seconds. He joins us to discuss his career as well as colony collapse disorder, the rise of urban beekeeping and his book “The Honey Bee Hobbyist.”

Watch Norman Gary play a clarinet while covered in honeybees:

Guests:
Norman Gary, honeybee expert, UC Davis professor emeritus of entomology, musician, professional bee wrangler and author of "The Honey Bee Hobbyist: The Care and Keeping of Bees"

• Keith

I’m a pretty inexperienced beekeeper and want to know more about varoa mites. Is there a way to control them without poisons? 

• Keith

Oh, and will you be doing a book signing in the Davis area?

• Andrew

How do I attract bees to my container garden on my third floor apartment balcony without maintaining a hive? I see half a dozen or so on rare occasions. Hand pollinating is tedious. How do I get more pollinators in my area?

• Eileensgardens

I am considering putting a bee hive on the roof of my shed. Is there any reason not to do this

• Shop Ping867

About bee phobia. I walked into a ground beehive when I was 5 years old and got about 100 stings all over my body. This left me with an intense fear of bees. When I was in my 20s three events helped me get over the phobia. One was taking walks through a bee-filled path with a friend who wasn’t afraid, and he modeled how to walk gently without bothering the bees. The second event was reading a book for children that explained all about bees. The third was getting stung by a bee again as an adult. It hurt, but not very much, and I realized that my fear of bees over all these years was much more painful than getting an actual bee sting every few years. I’m still cautious and probably would not be a beekeeper myself, but I’ve lived in a home with a beehive and I’m very positive about bees and bee hives now.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor