(TEDxConcordiaUPortland2012/Flickr)

For the past several years, heartfelt, sometimes tormented emails have been pouring into the inbox of Dear Sugar, the advice columnist for the online literary magazine “The Rumpus.” Sugar — recently revealed as bestselling memoirist and novelist Cheryl Strayed — answers the calls for help with deep empathy, honesty and often with toughness. Strayed joins us to talk about giving advice and her golden rule: trust yourself.

Guests:
Cheryl Strayed, author of "Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from 'Dear Sugar'" and the memoir "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail"

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Have been a big fan of Ms Strayed since reading/reviewing her awesome book WILD months ago.  Am so excited to see she is on Forum as I told her in either a Tweet/email/FB post (cannot remember which) that I hoped she would be on the show. Even emailed FORUM months ago to suggest her as a guest.  

We are over near Sonora and often trek north or south for a day or two on the PCT.  This past month we saw families, a few disabled and elders when trekking one week end.

• Us-in-Nevada

Dear Sugar;

So far we have heard lots about monogamy. How about polyamory?

Us

• SL111

The first two people who have called in illustrate a point that I think is lost in our culture.  People who are confused about relationship to this extent need counseling, therapy, probably have trauma in their backgrounds.  I believe they need to be directed toward deeper help.  They are unlikely to find what they need without it.

• Paul

I have been married less than one year and the sex is not very good. My wife and I did not have sex before marriage. How can I make it better? My wife does not show much interest in sex. How worried should I be if we only have sex about once every two weeks?

• Rio

First, try asking her how you can help her day go better–with NO expectation of being rewarded! Be nice to her think about what weighs on her during the day–stop thinking of her as a servant–help her with daily tasks with NO expectation of being rewarded. DO not tell her over and over how she is not satisfying you–see how YOU can satisfy her…you may be surprised that she sees you differently all of a sudden.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor